Dec 20, 2014, 6:44 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, December 20, eight days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Three and out—Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Eagles
1. Every week we talk about the Redskins needing to run the ball and that’s the buzz this week—run the ball, kill the clock, keep the Philly offense off of the field. But he Eagles are among the better teams defending against the run, giving up an average of 3.8 yards per carry. On the flip side, their pass defense is not very good; Philadelphia ranks 21 in yards per pass play against. The Redskins’ chance of pulling off an upset might rest on the right arm of Robert Griffin III.
2. The challenge will be keeping Griffin upright. In one of those unstoppable force against moveable object matchups, the Eagles are second in the league with 47 sacks while the Redskins have given up 53 sacks, second most in the NFL. If Griffin is unable to minimize the sacks he takes by holding onto the ball for too long it could get ugly in this department.
3. The number that will work against the Redskins this afternoon is 5.7. That is the number of yards they give up per play, 26th in the NFL. The Eagles have run 972 plays this year, second most in the NFL. Doing the math, that comes to 69 plays per game. If the Eagles run 69 plays and the Redskins give up their average of 5.7 per play, that will be almost 400 yards of offense for Philadelphia. The Redskins have not given up 400 yards or more in a game they won since last November when they beat the Chargers.
Out: Although we have been hearing all week that Jay Gruden will be back, nothing is done until it’s done. Some who work at Redskins Park believe that a pair of ugly losses in these last two games could change the thinking on Gruden, especially if FedEx Field is packed with fans of the opposing team. It could even change the thinking on keeping Bruce Allen in his current role. This is more about people reading tea leaves than any hard information but the situation does bear watching.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins vs. Eagles, 4:30, FedEx Field
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 8; 2015 NFL Draft 131; 2015 season opening Sunday 267
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- ‘An opportunity to right the ship’
- Redskins place Brandon Meriweather on IR
- Redskins draft prospect watch: New Mexico Bowl
- Redskins draft prospect watch: New Orleans Bowl
- Jason Hatcher out, Keenan Robinson doubtful for Redskins
- The fans help predict Redskins vs. Eagles
- The Redskins’ RG3 option decision will be an easy one
- Redskins cut it close with salary cap
Follow Us On Twitter
- Breeland leaves game with apparent leg injury
- Four Redskins players raise fists during anthem in show of solidarity
- One Redskins defender is honoring Chief Zee with his cleats Sunday
- Redskins vs. Giants Live Updates: Scores, stats, highlights, analysis
- Redskins vs. Giants inactives: Jackson, Williams both active against GIants
- Redskins look to change their fortune with a change of uniform
- Get your popcorn ready- Josh Norman to exclusively cover Odell Beckham
- Week 3 Redskins vs. Giants Weather report: A cooler day for heated rivals
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate