Dec 14, 2014, 4:29 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, December 14, six days before the Washington Redskins host the Philadelphia Eagles.
Three and out—Redskins vs. Giants final thoughts
1. The Giants’ front four on defense used to boast names like Osi and Strahan and the unit was the key to their two Super Bowl wins. Now, the only recognizable name on the unit is Jason Pierre-Paul, who leads the team with seven sacks. They can still generate some pass pressure (5th in the NFL in sacks per pass attempt) but they are vulnerable to the run (31st in yards/rush attempt).
2. In five games against the Giants, Alfred Morris has averaged 4.8 yards per carry and a very respectable 79 yards per game. Also, in what probably is more of a statistical oddity than a real trend, Morris has 10 career pass receptions against the Giants; that’s more than he has against any other team. If he’s not a factor today the Redskins have no chance.
3. I pointed this out in my prediction yesterday but it bears repeating. The major weakness in Eli Manning’s game is that he throws too many interceptions. One of many weaknesses in the Redskins’ defense is that they don’t get nearly as many picks as they should. If the Redskins can change that and grab two or three of Eli’s passes, perhaps this could be an entertaining game.
Out: Jay Gruden at least thought about benching Colt McCoy for this game and going with Robert Griffin III. And he may have gone with Griffin regardless of McCoy’s health. McCoy has been cleared to play and he’s starting. But what happens if the Redskins are trailing, say, 14-3 at halftime and McCoy has thrown a couple of interceptions? Does Gruden stick with his starter? Or does he bring RG3 out of the bullpen?
—Today’s schedule: Redskins vs. Giants 1:00 p.m., FOX
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 6; Cowboys @ Redskins 14; 2015 NFL Draft 138
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory