Sep 4, 2014, 4:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 4, three days before the Washington Redskins open their season against the Texans.
Redskins Park notes and quotes
The buzz from Redskins Park on Wednesday:
—Darrel Young on Texans DE and highest paid defensive player in NFL history J. J. Watt: “He’s everywhere, there’s not one play that he’s not around the ball. He’s great at what he does.”
—The Texans and Redskins both went from the playoffs in 2012 to the two worst records in the league last year. Robert Griffin III sees both teams fighting on Sunday to get the new season going right. “There’s going to be some hot tempers in this game because everybody wants to right their ship,” Griffin told the Houston media in a conference call.
—It sounds as though Young is anxious to get out there and show that what we saw in the preseason doesn’t represent what the offense is capable of. “We have a game plan. We didn’t game plan at all during the preseason,” he said. “We’ll see what happens.”
—Just before going out for his first full practice as a member of the Redskins, safety Duke Ihenacho said that it doesn’t look like the defense in Denver and the one here are all that different. “A lot of the same things, the same concepts, different terminology,” he said. “I think that’s the hardest thing about it, you communicate with your teammates out there, the rest of the guys. It’s just terminology. Once you get the terminology down and everything we should be good.”
—I seemed as though Jay Gruden was not very concerned about the possibility that a hamstring strain will keep nickel corner Tracy Porter sidelined on Sunday. “If he can’t go we’re okay,” Gruden said, referring to Porter. “We have some good enough players here that are ready and have been taking a lot of work because he hasn’t been available that often in training camp and preseason. So we have guys that are ready to step up and play if he’s not ready.”
—Gruden gave us a thumbnail look at what the passing game will look like. “Our intent as an offense is to make sure we have enough passing plays where he [Griffin] doesn’t have to hold the ball that long. We’ll take some shots here and there, too, where he has to hold it a little bit longer, but for the most part, let’s get him into some rhythm – unlike we did against Baltimore – and try to get the ball moving.”
—Griffin on the running game: “You’ve got to run the ball, and I think that’s the key to success any time. We know that if we want to do what we want to do, we have to be able to run the ball effectively. We have one of the best run blocking offensive lines in the league – very athletic guys that can get to the next level – so we’re definitely going to try to do that.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Tandler talks Texans strategy
—Today’s schedule: Open locker room player availability 11:15; Practice 1:00 open to media for first 30 minutes; Jay Gruden news conference after practice (approx. 3:00)
—It’s been 249 days since the Redskins played a game; in three days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Home opener vs. Jaguars 10; Redskins @ Eagles 17; Thursday night Giants @ Redskins 21
In case you missed it
- ‘He’s looked phenomenal’
- Gruden talks strategy for slowing Texans’ pass rush
- Redskins concerned about Porter’s hamstring
- Phillip Thomas receives diagnosis on his injured foot
- Bacarri Rambo expects to start Sunday in Houston
- Redskins’ RG3: ‘It’s our job to ignore the noise’
- Where are we? The state of the Redskins going into the 2014 season
- Five questions about Redskins vs. Texans
Follow Us On Twitter
- LIVE NOW: Roger Goodell speaks on NFL matters
- Redskins get bad news on Jordan Reed's status for Sunday
- With Forbath questionable, Redskins will have kicker insurance
- DeSean Jackson is listed a questionable for Sunday
- Redskins' Gruden "will not hesitate one bit" to turn to Ryan Grant if needed
- Goodell to hold press conference at 3 p.m. on NFL's recent issues
- ICYMI: Stuff that happened besides baseball
- Pros, cons, and X factors--Redskins at Eagles game prediction
- OPEN THREAD: Will Ryan Grant produce vs Eagles?
- Week 3 Power Rankings: Does Buffalo belong in the top 10?