Sep 1, 2014, 4:48 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, September 1, six days before the Redskins open their season against the Texans.
Five observations about the Redskins’ 53-man roster:
—The waiver claim of Broncos safety Duke Ihenacho makes a lot of sense. It’s hard for a team that’s as needy at safety as the Redskins to turn down the chance to get a player who started 14 games and three playoff games, including the Super Bowl. According to some reports he is a box safety with limited coverage skills. The fact that he’s not an all-around safety is not surprising since such players are very rarely available on the waiver wire. We will see how quickly he can get up to speed.
—I still am puzzled by the decision to let both Chris Thompson and Lache Seastrunk go, even though Thompson has returned to the practice squad. Keeping at least one speed back on the 53-man roster seems to be the smart way to go. But if Thompson can stick on the practice practice squad and develop there instead of while taking up roster spots it will be a case of all’s well that ends well.
—Right now I’m not sure if the Redskins are better off on the offensive line than they were a year ago but they could be better a year from now. There might be a slight upgrade in the starters with Kory Lichtensteiger taking over for Will Montgomery at center and Shawn Lauvao moving in at left guard. But if Morgan Moses and Spencer Long can develop into starters as projected (and/or if Josh LeRibeus can as well) it could be a major upgrade. But draft picks carry no guarantees, especially not third rounders, so we will have to wait and see.
—The most improved unit on the team clearly is wide receiver. Pierre Garçon, Santana Moss, and Aldrick Robinson are back. DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts and Ryan Grant replace Josh Morgan, Leonard Hankerson, and Nick Williams. You don’t need much explanation or advanced stats to tell you that it’s a better unit.
—A few numbers: The Redskins’ roster has 25 players on offense, 25 on defense, and three specialists. A total of 24 players were not on the 53-man roster at any point last year. Of those, 21 are new to the Redskins organization in 2014. A total of 24 of them were drafted by the Redskins.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Stat of the day
—DeSean Jackson had 25 plays with gains for 20 yards or more in the regular season with the Eagles last year plus one in the playoffs. On the drives where Jackson had those explosive plays the Eagles scored 17 touchdowns, kicked seven field goals, and missed two field goals.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 10:45; player availability and Jay Gruden news conference after practice (approx. 12:30).
—It’s been 246 days since the Redskins played a game; in six days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Home opener vs. Jaguars 13; Redskins @ Eagles 20; Thursday night Giants @ Redskins 25
In case you missed it
- Redskins sign 8 to practice squad
- Redskins depth chart: Turmoil at safety
- Baylor unveils RG3 statue at ceremony to open new stadium
- Redskins claim safety Duke Ihenacho
- Depth chart analysis: No big surprises on defensive front
- Redskins depth chart: Stars and potential all over at skill positions
- Redskins depth chart: Veteran starters, young depth on O-line
- D-Hall sounds off on NFL’s appeals process
- Five pivotal games on the Redskins’ 2014 schedule
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kirk Cousins, Antonio Brown team up to break world record held by OBJ
- How should the Redskins fix their scuffling run game?
- UFC legend Chuck Liddell joins Redskins Nation
- London Fletcher: Sean Taylor 'was just scratching the surface'
- Rookie review: How does Kyshoen Jarrett fit into the Redskins' plans?
- Who has the best chance of being the Redskins' first pick?
- Redskins going defense first in many mock drafts
- Should the Redskins bring back DeSean Jackson in 2016?
- Who are the top 5 quarterbacks of all-time?
- Will McCloughan try to build the Redskins' defense through free agency?