Aug 31, 2014, 5:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 31, seven days before the Redskins open their season against the Texans.
Here are five pivotal games on the Redskins’ 2014 schedule:
Sept. 21 @ Eagles—Last year the Redskins weren’t competitive in either game against the eventual division champs. They can show that they’ve closed the gap starting here.
Sept. 26 vs. Giants—After coming back from Philly they turn around and host the Giants. It was one thing losing to Philly twice in 2013; dropping two to the Giants was a different matter. If the Redskins are even going to be mediocre they need to win games like this at home.
Oct. 19 vs. Titans—Yes, this is a nondescript game that few outside of Washington and Nashville will care about and that’s the point. Even when they’re good the Redskins tend to lay an egg at home against a team they should beat. This is a trap they need to avoid.
Nov. 2 @ Vikings—Minnesota has been every bit as mediocre as the Redskins since 2010 and they’ve met every year. The Vikings have won three of those four games. If they Redskins are indeed improved they should win this one.
Dec. 7 vs. Rams—This is similar to the situation with the Vikings. St. Louis hasn’t been very good but they still have beaten Washington in two of their three meetings since 2010
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Stat of the day
—Alfred Morris has rushed for 2,888 yards in his two seasons in the NFL. Only eight backs in NFL history have rushed for more yards in their first two seasons. If Morris gains 1,112 yards this year to get to 4,000 he will join a group of 12 players with that many rushing yards in their first three seasons in the league.
—Today’s schedule: No availability
—It’s been 245 days since the Redskins played a game; in seven days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Home opener vs. Jaguars 14; Redskins @ Eagles 21; Thursday night Giants @ Redskins 26
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class
- Redskins rookie WR Josh Doctson held out of OTAs