Aug 31, 2014, 5:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 31, seven days before the Redskins open their season against the Texans.
Here are five pivotal games on the Redskins’ 2014 schedule:
Sept. 21 @ Eagles—Last year the Redskins weren’t competitive in either game against the eventual division champs. They can show that they’ve closed the gap starting here.
Sept. 26 vs. Giants—After coming back from Philly they turn around and host the Giants. It was one thing losing to Philly twice in 2013; dropping two to the Giants was a different matter. If the Redskins are even going to be mediocre they need to win games like this at home.
Oct. 19 vs. Titans—Yes, this is a nondescript game that few outside of Washington and Nashville will care about and that’s the point. Even when they’re good the Redskins tend to lay an egg at home against a team they should beat. This is a trap they need to avoid.
Nov. 2 @ Vikings—Minnesota has been every bit as mediocre as the Redskins since 2010 and they’ve met every year. The Vikings have won three of those four games. If they Redskins are indeed improved they should win this one.
Dec. 7 vs. Rams—This is similar to the situation with the Vikings. St. Louis hasn’t been very good but they still have beaten Washington in two of their three meetings since 2010
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Stat of the day
—Alfred Morris has rushed for 2,888 yards in his two seasons in the NFL. Only eight backs in NFL history have rushed for more yards in their first two seasons. If Morris gains 1,112 yards this year to get to 4,000 he will join a group of 12 players with that many rushing yards in their first three seasons in the league.
—Today’s schedule: No availability
—It’s been 245 days since the Redskins played a game; in seven days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Home opener vs. Jaguars 14; Redskins @ Eagles 21; Thursday night Giants @ Redskins 26
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kerrigan ready to switch sides if needed
- Orakpo will wear a cast on hand Thursday
- Wendy's Q&A: Will Redskins look for secondary help?
- Fantasy Fix: Cousins, Taliaferro headline Week 4 waiver wire
- OPEN THREAD: How good is the Redskins defense?
- Who will take the Redskins' open roster spot?
- Redskins snap count analysis vs. Eagles--LeRibeus gets a shot
- Redskins Park notes and quotes--Gruden says comebacks wins will come for Cousins
- Gruden joins STL to discuss the tough loss in Philly (VIDEO)
- Week 3 stats: Kirk Cousins is playing out of his mind