Redskins roster cuts tracker

Aug 29, 2014, 3:21 PM EST

Jay-Gruden-vs-Browns

The Redskins have started the process of reducing their roster down to 53 players. We are tracking every move right here, keeping you updated on who’s in and who’s out.

Hit the comments section for comments and questions. Scroll down the page for analysis of key cuts.

All transactions have been announced by the Redskins.

Refresh this page for the latest news.

[Related: Tandler and Tarik roster projections on offense, defense/specialists]

Players released: 17
Players to PUP/IR: 4
Transactions left to go: 1

(Players were released/waived unless otherwise noted)

• RB Chris Thompson
  • RB Lache Seastrunk
  • RB Evan Royster
  • ILB Darryl Sharpton (IR)
  • S Phillip Thomas
  • CB Chase Minnifield
  • LB Everette Brown
  • K Zach Hocker
  • WR Nick Williams
  • DE Stephen Bowen (PUP)
  • OL Maurice Hurt
  • NT Chris Neild (IR)
  • Leonard Hankerson (PUP)

The final roster spot will come when Brandon Meriweather is added to the reserve/suspended list.

On Friday the Redskins announced that they had waived the following eight players:

• CB Richard Crawford
  • OL Tevita Stevens
  • S Da’mon Cromartie-Smith
  • TE Ted Bolser
  • OL Kevin Kowalski
  • P Robert Malone
  • NT Robert Thomas
  • WR Lee Doss

Analysis of key transactions:

CB Richard Crawford–The 2012 draft pick never regained the form he had before suffering a torn ACL during a preseason game a year ago. The team was unsure of his status to begin with and they drafted Bashaud Breeland and signed Tracy Porter as a free agent. He is eligible for the practice squad and that is where he is likely to land.

TE Ted Bolser–A seventh-round pick this year, he seemed too raw to have a legitimate shot at making the roster. He’s another practice squad candidate and he should be back to give it another go next season.

P Robert Malone–The Redskins signed him early on and he appeared to have the inside track since he punted for special teams coach Ben Kotwica with the Jets. But last night Malone got off a weak 31-yard punt while newcomer Tress Way boomed two for an average of 51 yards with solid hang time. That, plus reports that Way was booming the ball in practice, apparently led to Malone’s release.

RB Chris Thompson--It looked like he may have played his way onto the roster with a good performance on Thursday. But his injury history had to play against him. A likely practice squad candidate.

RB Lache Seastrunk–Let this be a lesson to fans and media types alike–one play does not clinch a roster spot for a player. Many thought his 80-yard run after catching a short Colt McCoy pass was his ticket to the 53. But he still needs to polish up his route running and blocking skills and the Redskins likely hope he clears through to the practice squad.

RB Evan Royster–He was cut as a rookie (later returned from practice squad) and a lot of fans and pundits thought he’d be released last year. He survived but his lack of speed may have doomed him this time around.

118 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cssur - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:30 PM

IMHO – RB Situation:
    1) Main: Alfred Morris
    2) 3rd down Back: Roy Helu
    3) Power back to step in if Morris is hurt: Silas Redd
    4) Speed back for designed plays: Seastrunk

Royster and Thompson will probably not see much game time anyway (how many snaps did get play in 2013, and how did they do?)

So why not invest in exciting talent (Redd/Seastrunk)?

• cssur - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Also, there are some RB-needy teams out there. Based on pre-season performances, Redd and Seastrunk will not make it to Practice Squad and will be picked up during waivers. I really can’t say the same for Royster/Thompson.

And BTW, Thompson is always injured (Coach Gruden said his dad once told him that the most imp feature of an RB is durability).

• shermanp79 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Royster can play, he has played well when had a chance. In his R season he started the final few games and averaged 100 a game. He can also catch. So some team most certainly will pick him up. Based on last nights rotation it seems Royster and Thompson were ahead of Seastrunk and Redd. I like them both but Gruden mentioned something about guys playing well through little injuries. I believe directly speaking of Thompson. Gruden likes him, I think he gets one more shot and makes the team. With that said Redd and Seastrunk go to the PS.I think Royster has showed he is worthy of keeping, he has shown he can be good catching the ball out of the backfield, something Redd and Seastrunk haven’t done.

• deepball1 - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM

both Royster and Helu are free agents in 6 months and will be gone anyway. Better stockpile replacements

• bowlregard - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

There are a lot of teams deep at RB. Philly, NE, etc. More than just the Skins are cutting good RBs. The proclivity of RBs may be why their salaries have slumped in recent years. So we may be surprised who clears waivers.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Thompson has speed and pass-catching ability. No disrespect to Jay’s dad but there are thousands of unemployed, “durable” backs on the streets. Speed is a rare commodity and fast players get extra chances. See Robinson, Aldrick. Not injured last two years but might as well have been with what he was able to contribute.

• shermanp79 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I have believed in AR since the beginning, I think he just needed a chance. After a great offseason, with Shanahan saying so, he still never put him in other than the final few games. His role remained the same post WR routes. With the way some of the young guys have played this preseason, it looks like a few could have helped. He seemed inflexible with getting guys into games, Helu’s playing time a perfect example, yes AF is a beast but he lacks certain skills. If had played Helu more on first downs and for longer it gave another dimension. I do understand that young guys progress and Fletcher was here but he showed serious signs of age. Maybe putting a Compton in or a Miller on 1st and 2nd downs or actually vise versa , it would have helped this defense. Playing Miller instead of Jackson is my thoughts and Compton for Fletcher. We would have known more about this roster, I wonder if Sharper gets cut??Some of the guys brought in have been outplayed by guys who were here, I know they had to, not knowing. At least this team has more depth, something desperately needed. I hope Crawford makes PS, maybe the injuries have diminished his ability but maybe he needs time. I also am not crazy about Porter, he has been inconsistent in his years but clearly Breeland should be ahead of him.

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Still waiting for a follow up explanation for THIS post! Nothing? Nada??

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM

If that is directed at me, I have said that I was wrong elsewhere in the comments. Didn’t think it was necessary to go through each one and deliver a separate mea culpa.

2. mrx149 - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I’m on pins and needles waiting to read something about kicker and running back. I think we have to keep Redd. No one else can fill in for Morris like he can if Morris were to go down.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:31 PM

My prediction? Redd to the practice squad! The reason is that there are not many teams today searching for a power back. I really like Redd to but with Alfred and Helu he really offers little playing opportunity unless one of them are hurt.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Speed is always in much shorter supply (and therefore more likely to get plucked off of waivers) than power.

> >

3. cssur - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Here’s a stat to think abt:
    Silas Redd had 12 missed/broken tackles in preseason, most in NFL.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Also think about the fact that most of the guys whose tackles he broke will be among those on the waiver wire today and tomorrow.

Like the guy, good player, good guy. But let’s not go overboard.

• toothcoster - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

[Edited idiotic insult directed at blog editor]

• mrx149 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Coming from a guy who comes onto someone else’s blog to throw insults. I think we all know who the real tool is.

• theismann7 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Rich….the fact that he can’t choose who is playing on the other side of the ball or when he gets his shot to show what he has, you (read: Redd) can only do what he can against who is chosen to play against. So, you also can’t take anything away from Redd. Just sayin’

• theismann7 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM

He can only do what he can rather :p

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Regardless, I refuse to be impressed by 12 broken tackles. If you choose to be, that is your option. :)

> >

4. colmac69 - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I had thompson on my 53 but looking at it now we could live without him….morris..helu…seastrunk…redd with young as fb…….prob only handful spots to b filled

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I’m nor sure Seastrunk or Redd are reliable options for pass protection yet so I doubt you can have both on the 53 man roster. Thompson “appears” to have the coaches confidence more in terms of being ready to be put on the field today

5. dcwun - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I just don’t understand the love for Helu. He has poor vision, doesn’t set up his blocks and maybe the worst runner out of the backfield of the group. Why wouldn’t Seastrunk replace him. If Al Mo went down, I’d much rather have Royster than Helu. Lets not get too carried away with Redd too.

• mrx149 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I am really interested to see what they do. People keep predicting we will keep Al Mo, Helu, Thompson, Seastrunk. If Al Mo goes down, I don’t trust Helu, Thompson or Seastrunk to be able to carry the load. They always seem to be hurt. Redd is not as big as I thought, they have him listed at 5’10” and 200 pounds.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Because not everyone sees Helu the way you have. I disagree about Helu. He is the most rounded player we have on the team and a superior option to Royster.

6. barrymoyer - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I think Royster who was always behind Helu anyway, is out. Redd is in. Royster will get picked up by another team, but Redd was just so impressive we can’t let him get away and too good to put on PS.

• dcwun - Aug 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

He was behind Helu as a 3rd down back. Shanny always made it clear that if Al Mo went down, Royster would be the starter, not Helu.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Really? I covered all 4 years of Shanny, never heard anything like that. With Helu healthy last year, Royster got two rushing attempts.

• dcwun - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Then you missed it Rich. You would have to agree that Helu doesn’t know how to set up blocks, is an impatient runner, and has poor vision? I just don’t see what’s so special.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM

No, I pretty much disagree across the board. At least in relation to Royster. Not that I think Helu is a Pro Bowl back by any means but Helu is a better athlete, better pass blocker, better receiver out of the backfield.

And since it’s my job, I generally don’t miss pronouncements that someone is the backup running back. But if you can pull up a quote or audio I’ll glad admit that I’m wrong.

• shermanp79 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Helu was ahead from Day!, that R year his(helu) injury is why Royster started the last couple games. It was due to Helu having speed, I thought in the first preseason game he seemed faster or quicker but I think not seeing Football in so long I was seeing things. There haven’t been many big running plays this preseason, my hope was Helu could play a bigger role this year. He would show some of the R flashes. The one thing I have noticed, Royster is a better runner than Helu up to this point, he just got such few chances, helu hasn’t received many either. His ypc was better than Royster last year but Royster seems more decisive and quicker through the hole. I mentioned elsewhere, I think them both being FAs next year, they most likely lose Royster to greater chances, If not Helu too depending on how this year goes neither may return. It’s why I think the organization should hold depth. They have Drafted this position so many years in a row, which I know isn’t uncommon but it would be nice not to have too. People are worried about a big back if AF goes down, I think Young could do a bit of it. It’s more likely they would bring Redd up, but I think he would do OK. Lot’s of decisions next 24 hrs.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Today running backs need to be able to pass protect and probably have some ability as a receiving threat. I don’t think Redd has either yet and as a power back is not as sought after with teams today as much as speed backs like Seastrunk and Thompson.

7. Big papa redskins - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Let’s go regular season

8. theismann7 - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM

So Rich…are you saying you don’t think Redd is worth keeping over say, Thompson or Royster?

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I’d keep him over Royster but not over Thompson. Seastrunk and Thompson are my third and fourth tailbacks because speed is a rare commodity.

• dcwun - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Can’t make the team if you are always in the tub Rich. Thompson to the PS.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Adage does not necessarily apply to fast guys. We’ll see.

> >

• kenlinkins - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I agree 100%, you can not coach speed, you have it or you don’t. Thomson should make this team as he is the only break away threat and has more NFL value. Both Redd and Seastrunk are projects, one should make the team the other (if they clear the wire) would be a good Practice Squad player for now. Royster just never seemed to break out of the pack and that will be the reason the Redskins let him go IMO!

9. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I really think Seastrunk may make the 53 man roster over Thompson. The reason I see is that Thompson hasn’t proven to be durable enough and may be a better option for the practice squad over Seastrunk. I don’t think Seastrunk would last on the PS long before a team takes him if he would even be there as a PS option.

RB projection:

Final 53
    1) Alfred Morris
    2) Roy Heul
    3) Darrell Young
    4) Lache Seastrunk

Final PS
    1) Chris Thompson
    2) Silas Redd

However, would the team really be able to store two RBs on a limited PS roster?

10. gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I said it a while back and I say it again I would cut Royster and Helu ….They have both had their chances lets go with the young guys Seastrunk, Thompson and Redd. Helu is a lock to get RG3 killed with another missed block and he has to be one of the softest RBs I have seen. like I say they had chances and have shown what they bring to the table and IMHO it’s not much!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Would a head coach actually put 3 young unproven running backs on a 53 man roster? Ones that have yet proven they can pass protect and be a consistent pass catching option? That to me could be a recipe for disaster to overload your roster with unproven players.

Helu is actually widely considered a solid pass protector. Yes, he has had some failures in this preseason with pass protection. However, he has already proven himself in the regular season and also has ran very well substituting for AM. I have never one seen a report, post, or comment about Helu being a pass protection liability until now. He actually hits the holes fast and hard but I agree he isn’t known for breaking tackles which I think is what separate himself from AM. Helu does have issues with patience letting holes develop but he is far far from a soft runner.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Helu is garbage and he makes team for the last year….period! Why not cut ties today?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Because he is not garbage and you are plain wrong about it!

How much film have you seen of those three guys against tier 1 defenses?

Do you really thing Thompson, Seastrunk, or Redd can pass protect better for RG3 than Helu? Are you really willing to put those guys out there between RG3 and the top linebackers from the likes of SF and Seattle?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Below are the 2013 stats on Helu as a backup running back:

ATT – 62
          YDS – 274
          AVG – 4.4
          TD – 4
          REC – 31

Those are stats of a quality backup and not a garbage backup.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I understand you are a Helu fan ..I see that you called him our best rounded player above…lol Enjoy him this season because he won’t be around long!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I’m not so much a fan as much as I can see he is our best backup option. The reference of most rounded intended to be among the RB position. I understand you could have viewed that differently. However, suggesting 3 unproven RBs on the 53 man roster is much more to LOL about than suggesting Helu is the most rounded player.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Please be fair to yourself and all on here, never said such (53 man roster). TY and I am done with you on this.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM

You’re welcome! I understand, there is not much more you can provide with those baseless statements. You did all you can and you should move on.

“I said it a while back and I say it again I would cut Royster and Helu ….They have both had their chances lets go with the young guys Seastrunk, Thompson and Redd. ”

Lastly, I call your .”…period” and provide you an “…exclamation” on your statement above. Using “and” normally indicates all and suggesting “go with” normally would indicate not cutting from the 53 man roster.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM

LOL have a nice night & HTTR!

11. gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Also anyone who thinks Cousins is up for trade… your crazy, if so he would have been showcased last night!

• kenlinkins - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I disagree, He increased his value over the preseason and was labeled the back up to RG3. That alone gives him value and removes the requirement to show case him. In fact, keeping him fresh would increase his value as he has now had to to heel up any little knicks. If another team is interested, that would be one of the talking points the Redskins would use whening asking for more then they are offered.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM

He is not going anywhere!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Showcasing a player, especially a QB, against backups and waiver fodder is not going to entice other teams for a trade anymore than benching him for that game would. If they retain Colt McCoy then to me that affirms the desire of the organization to entertain trading Cousins.

• gasngo14 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Keeping Colt tells me they worry about RG3 staying healthy.

12. kenlinkins - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Well, it is finally “lonely at the top” time. Now we get to see just what coach Gruden has in mind at QB, RB, WR and O-Line. IMO the new coach put up a very good smoke screen all preseason and did in fact keep everyone guessing right up to today (as many of us are still trying to figure out just what the 53 man roster is going to look like.) Some time Sunday afternoon we will see what the new coach values, and just how he plans to rebuild this team. Should be very interesting but so far but nothing shocking yet!

13. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Rich, with the time it takes to make final cuts how much of it is due to trade discussions with other teams?

I have to assume that much of the time getting to the final 53 has to be due to trade talks among teams. This year, I think I’ll actually be as anxious after cuts to find out who gets on the PS as I will the final roster. I just think we are going to be forced to waive quality players this season more than the recent past.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Depends on how you look at it. Have to think they’re trying to trade a running back or two and if there is any interest there’s no point in making the cut before you have to. But they’re not spending a lot of time actually on the phone trying to make trades, if that’s what you’re asking.

There’s some film review going on, perhaps some of it from training camp and OTAs in addition to preseason games. There’s a lot of talk and discussion. And after the decision is made there is a lot of time spent waiting for the player to arrive so that he can be informed. So, it’s a time consuming process and they will use most of the allotted time to get it done.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Great job on the details! I guess announcing cuts to players through text messaging or Instigram would be consider taboo in even today’s society :)

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Send out a Instagram pic of the player’s locker with all of his stuff removed. Or just cancel his key card so he can’t get into the building. Or, my idea, remotely wipe his playbook iPad and have it display a “Sorry!” message on the lock screen.

Yeah, we think about some odd things in the media room when it gets late!

> >

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM

“Send out a Instagram pic of the player’s locker with all of his stuff removed. ”

Oh man; both funny and cruel!

• rtcwon - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Wow, I would be shocked if any team devoted one minute to trade thoughts at cut down time. Trades happen at the draft and in fantasy football.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Really? You wouldn’t try to get a sixth or seventh for a guy you’re about to cut loose? Wouldn’t you try to strengthen your depth in a particular area if you just had an injury and you could throw a seventh for a player you like?

Well, maybe you wouldn’t. But every team in the NFL would.

> >

• rtcwon - Aug 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Sure, any time the phone rings, answer.

And I hope the scouts have provided a hot sheet of guys to get if cut and start looking at their grades for everyone cut. I’m just thinking teams calling around with “can i get a 6th or 7th for x before we cut him” are at a competitive disadvantage to the teams spending every minute picking their guys. In a profession of long hours, I just imagine this as the most time intensive.

That said, I can deffer to your experience as you’ve actually spoken with NFL coaches. I guess it makes sense for a low waiver priority team to call about a guy they really like. Or a team putting out feelers for a vet that they plan on keeping but they also would like to keep the youngster behind him.

I still feel the outcomes are rare but if I had a nickle for every fan proposed trade bait…
          What is the last non-draft trade for the Redskins? I can’t remember any since Tryon to the Colts. Who did that pick turn into?

• skinsnation1046 - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:10 AM

IMO you are way off with Thompson. I read every one of your articles as well as keims. I know Gruden wants to give him every possible chance to stay, he likes the kid. But from what I infer with grudens comments and my general speculation is that he won’t be on the 53. I got almo, helu as 3rd down, with the two rooks. Royster gone. Chris to PS. The factor of who is more likely to get poached plays in as I don’t see Thompson being picked up due to injuries. Don’t know a thing about redds pass pro though, so any input would be great as he would have to be a primary backup if almo goes down

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:04 AM

We’ll see how it turns out soon. The way I read what Gruden said, they’re counting on Thompson to play a role and he was frustrated with his inability to get on the field. He got on the field and the frustration is done.

I think they have a role planned for him on Houston since he is the one back who has speed and true pass catching ability. But, again, I’ve been wrong before, we’ll see.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I was indeed off on Thompson. And Seastrunk. Not the first time I’ve been wrong and it won’t be the last.

• thankslittlebrandonbanks - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Pretty surprised to see both Thompson and Seastrunk gone.

• thankslittlebrandonbanks - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Especially Seastrunk

• shermanp79 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM

me too but they are counting on them returning. Blocking is a big thing Redd did that better than both. I truly thought Thompson was making it. Redd was a stronger runner up the middle than both too. That 80 yard run shows what speed can do, we don’t have it, the running game hasn’t had it since earlier in Portis”s time here, he slowed by the end. It has been too long. That big play helps, we need it.

14. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Connor Barth was just cut by Tampa! I really hope we can consider him since he is a step up from either kicker we have now.

15. kenlinkins - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Right now the Redskins are required to cut 13 more players: Here are my cuts: Geathers, Hocker, Hurt, Jordan, Kearse, Miller, Minnifield, Moss (if I could not trade him), Nield (I/R), Redd, Robinson T (S), Royster (if I could not trade him), Williams N.
    I would be looking for a TE, Center, Safety and DL projects for Practice Squad from the wire, I would be looking to sign Miller, Minnifield, Crawford, Robinson T., Redd, and Williams N, back for Practice Squad duty.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM

That looks like a well thought out list.

A few comments on those cuts

Minnifield:
      “Part of me prefers Minnifield over Biggers but I have to admit it looks like Biggers is playing better this preseason. Also, the fact he can play safety as well makes it very hard right now to release him.”.

Moss:
      I don’t see him getting cut but the fact we will keep 3 QBs makes it plausible.

Jordan:
      He is too good on special teams so I think he remains on the 53. Chris Thompson to me is the one that goes to PS. I think his durability will have every team 2nd guessing him.

Redd:
      Love this guy and I hope we can keep him on PS. With Seastrunk, I prefer Redd over Thompson if both were cut and only one goes to PS.

Geathers:
      I’m not sure about cutting him but it is a numbers game and I almost wonder if he is a better option for many reasons over Bowen.

16. greed - Aug 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Some of you have no clue in what your saying

17. shermanp79 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Did I see that RIGHT?? Phillip Thomas? Is the injury lingering worse than we thought? I assume him not being able to get on the field was their thinking. They must think Davis or Robinson wouldn’t make it through waivers. It may make the most sense. He hasn’t played so another team signing him to put on their roster seems unlikely. Allen said he was going to start last year, they must like what they have seen. I don’t think they want to lose him. I guess they can put him on the PS and have a chance to really look at him, see if he can stay healthy. I’m most surprised by this with the list above.
    I’m glad they kept Way, Malone really isn’t even an average punter. I’m not surprised about Everette, Miller showed he can make plays. I mentioned in my post a day ago, ST is important but they have a lot of quality guys, with only 4 OLB on the team they are an injury away from that guy needing to be counted on to make plays. I hope Crawford, Minnifield, Seastrunk and Thompson make PS. I’m not totally surprised with Royster, the reality is he is a FA after this year and he was going to look for a better situation. I do think he can play and some team will pick him up. I hope we are looking over other teams cuts.

18. mr. moneylover - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I agree wit releasing chris Thompson and evan royster but lache seastruck is a beast and releasing lache seastruck might come back and bite us…silas redd dont got that break away speed and idk why helu jr. Is a automatic lock to make the roster when he havent did nothing since coming back from injury..yes phillip thomas is gone hes a bust he cant stay healthy to play his first NFL game hes dead weight to the team….its not a automatic lock that rambo will be our starting safety in the near future I think coach jay like somebody else that plays better then phillip thomas and who can stay healthy…I think tracy porter will get released today hes having a hard time to stay healthy to I can see him bein dead weight to the team as well…I think overall breedland will be that solid # 3 cornerback…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Two coaches keeping him as #2 running back should tell you Helu has done plenty.

Below are the 2013 stats on Helu as a backup running back:

ATT – 62
      YDS – 274
      AVG – 4.4
      TD – 4
      REC – 31

Those are stats of a quality backup and not one that has done nothing. I expected though that Helu would lose third down opportunities to Seastrunk but I assume not so now.

19. mr. moneylover - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Ej biggers gotta go it just seem like he always get beat and still struggling in tackling in open space I seen miss a few open tackles they might keep him tho only because tracy porter hasnt played much and they say breeland is not ready to play yet

20. VK - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Rich…wth are you smoking. Seastrunk has been making plays with every opportunity he’s been given. Skins just doing what skins do best…drop rare talent for other teams. This is the worst move as Seastrunk will never clear waivers. He’s a draft pick with rare speed…sorry…Silas is nothing rare. Worst decision ever.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM

What do you mean, what am I smoking? Where did I express an opinion that I agreed with the release of Seastrunk. Analyzing move in this post. Have said for 2 months that Seastrunk and Thompson should make it.

• VK - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

“Let this be a lesson to fans and media types alike–one play does not clinch a roster spot for a player.” In what world did he only have one great play? That was your anaysis wasn’t it? Grudens first boneheaded mistake. Seastrunk has unparalleled speed and blocking can be taught.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM

It’s obviously a fact, isn’t it? The tracker is not the place for me to foment opinion. Will look at the moves and express my opinion over the next few days. Calm down. As I said, I am in agreement with you, I don’t like the move.

> >

21. deepball1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Seastrunk is gone. He is bound to get picked up. Grudens first big mistake if he doesn’t clear waivers and even if he does someone can still pick him up later.

But one thing is obvious. Allen is running this show and SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS are who made this squad as a first priority. I think the Skins will win some game with special teams this season just like they lost a bunch of games last year because of special teams.

22. deepball1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I just cannot believe that the Redskins pissed off RG3 by letting Seastrunk go.

Ya may have the first sign of division between a QB and his coach. Remember, Griffin text Gruden all through the draft begging him to take Seastrunk. This could be a problem. The only thing more shocking would be if Seastrunk cleared waivers and they brought him back on Monday after Merriweathers suspension….

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I’m tired of others worrying about pissing off RG3 aren’t you? He’s a professional QB and not part of the decision making on the coaching staff. I’d rather keep it that way.

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Wait…just because this deepball guy makes the factless assumption that Rob is “pissed off” over Lache’s release, you think that he actually IS pissed off?!!

Man, people have been putting their own words in RG’s mouth and thoughts in his head on a whim ever since last season’s collapse. And the weak-minded and agenda-driven have sucked them up like mothers milk. Hahaha

Pathetic.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Where did I ever state he actually is pissed off or I agreed with “deepball” that he was. My response was just clearly directed towards others who are so concerned about RG3’s emotions over coaching/organization decisions that is no concern of his. I don’t assume what words or thoughts are going through RG3. I just don’t concern myself on how he feels and really just want RG3 to go out there focus on his game.

• deepball1 - Sep 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Did You read somewhere that I was WORRIED about the Skins pissing off RGME? no one else read that. I just commented that they risk it. I never said I even cared. Do you always read things that aren’t there?

23. BlkPapi27 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Was shocked to see P.Thomas and Seastrunk.. Practice squad maybe??

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Who wasn’t is really the question. However P Thomas may indicate another significant injury and possible the same Lisfranc issue as last season.

24. cowboyhater - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Not surprised about P. Thomas….based off of comments from Gruden, he wants durable tough players. That Lisfranc injury will bother him for the remainder of his career, which means you will not be able to rely on this guy. In my opinion Merriweather should be on this cut list too. Ok, he can tackle and make big players, but one more hit (it will come this year…) and he is gone for the rest of the season. Put a player on this roster that you can depend on week in and week out. Let’s not forget there will be some players available this weekend that the skins may be monitoring. Thompson will be available because no team wants an undersized back that has been injury prone since his college career, and let’s not forget about that nasty back injury, but Seastrunk is raw speed talent that may be plucked from a RB needy team. Looks like McCoy is safe after all those backs being cut.

25. rebelsrevelations - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I hope they bring back PThomas, Seastrunk, TStevens, EBrown, and CMinnifield, to the PS. All of these guys have great potential, and I believe they could, with some more training, become great contributors!
    PThomas, if healthy, is already there, and could come in if there were a season ending injury to a roster member!
    Unless there’s some other surprise acquisitions from other teams’ rosters, these are the guys I think the Redskins would benefit from by keeping!
    HTTR!

26. kenlinkins - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Seems the Redskins have 4 more cuts to make. Right now 5 CB, 8 DL, 5 S, 10LB, 3 QB, 10 OL, 6 WR, 4 RB, 3 TE are still on the roster. So maybe one LB (Jordan), 2 DL (Nield to IR- Kearse), and 1 OL (Hurt): It is getting interesting with Thompson, Thomas and Seastrunk being cut and someone like Moss making it. That will be a fun debate later in the week.

27. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

One thing that stood out with Redd that seemed to certain separate him from Thompson. If you watch the last drive before the first half against Tampa Bay, both Thompson and Redd were trading runs. While Thompson was getting caught in the backfield at times and getting less than 4 yards; Redd was blowing through holes getting huge chunks of yards. So tit-for-tat Redd was outplaying Thompson.

I have to assume the coaching staff feels that Redd is not far away from being able to pass protect and may become a presence on the goal line this season. Is it possible the staff sniffed the NFL field and found teams really gearing to pick Redd if cut? Maybe!

I’m stunned by the release by Seastrunk. I really just hope Seastrunk can get to PS.

• captblood3000 - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I think the Giants would be interested in Redd.

28. colmac69 - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Keeping mccoy as insurance in case griffin goes dwn…..interesting to hear gruden xplanation on rb position…..wr..te as xpected…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I feel certainly it also indicates a desire for the team to keep Cousins on the trade block.

29. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

RIch, what is the scenarios for a guy like Phillip Thomas being cut and being retained by the team?

After thinking about it and yes maybe I thought too much about, but I feel this may have been a smart move if we get him to PS. Let’s assume he hasn’t again injured the Lisfranc. Thomas’ injury may only be minor but he has also had little time to grow in OTAs and TCs. So it would make sense to avoid PUP or IR. Instead move him to PS and let him catch up. I imagine teams are going to avoid Thomas since he has yet to play a down and has a recent injury history.

My other scenario is that he has the same injury and this clearly signifies we have no intention on picking him back up.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Word is that they want to put him on the practice squad. Hard to keep him on the 53 if he can’t contribute, especially in light of Meriweather suspension. They need healthy bodies. And, you’re right, risk of him getting claimed is low.

> >

30. dsgb - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Why seastrunk he will put up points that’s what we need. I bet giants get him

31. colmac69 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

By my reckoning defense consists of 6 d-line (cofield..baker..geathers..hatcher..jenkins..golston)

4 outside(kerrigan..murphy..Miller. .murphy) and 4 inside (Robinson. .riley..hayward..compton)

5 corners (hall..amerson..porter. .biggers..breeland) and 5 safeties (clark..rambo..merriweather..davis..robinson)

Offense consists of 3qbs (griffin..cousins. .mccoy)

4 backs (Morris. .helu..young..redd)

3 te (paulson..reed..paul) and 6 wr (jackson..moss..Roberts. .garcon..Robinson. .grant)

10 o-line (williams..lauvauo..lichensteiger..chester..polombus..hunt..moses..long..lerebius…compton)

Forbath..sundberg..way

Who else will miss out?

32. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Twitter Tweets are indicating Bowen is going to PUP and Frank Kearse will make the final cut.

33. mr. moneylover - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM

All ima say is seastruck got speed that alfred,helu or redd dont have…that move will come back and bite redskins…sorry coach jay thats your first mistake as a head coach he might not cant block very good but he can do other things that the other three running backs cant do…if lache catch a pass in the open field he will burn you everytime…somebody in our division will pick him up bet that …thats one move I disagree wit the other moves im all in wit

34. jc - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM

My heart goes out to all of these guys. Never give up. You never know what’s next. If this is your last stop in the NFL, just know most of us never had our first. Your experience could be just what someone in the future can benefit from. So be of good cheer and share your wisdom with our youth. They desperately need you.

35. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Rich, is Leonard Hankerson (OUP) actually PUP? if not what is OUP?

36. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM

The one question I have is why we kept so many DEs?

94 Geathers, Clifton DE
    97 Hatcher, Jason DE
    99 Jenkins, Jarvis DE
    73R Kearse, Frank DE
    92 Baker, Chris DL
    64 Golston, Kedric DL

I would never have pegged Frank Kearse over Lach Seastrunk.

• captblood3000 - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Geathers and Baker could also play nose tackle.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I understand and I saw Geathers at NT often in preseason but the fact they can play DE normally wouldn’t require an additional 4 dedicated DE. I have to assume Nield injury has some impact on this decision. The added DEx may also indicate they will be playing more of a 4-3/3-4 mix.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You’re on to something with that last sentence.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Has told us all when he first got here he wanted to play a 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid D …maybe Shanahan got in the way?

37. greed - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Keeping colt says cousins wont be on the roster next yr & ya’ll complaining about seastrunk & thompson but fail to realise gruden the Hc he clearly wants physical tough team the guys that wre cut most of them are practice squad eligible & further can be developed , we as fans dont see the everyday grind & practices that tje coaches do im sure they picked the right players to help the team week 1 was we complaining about Helu when he caght 11 passes two yr ago against S.F or when he stepped in against the raiders and carried the offense as i stated i liked both Rb’s & hopefully they’ll clear waivers & can turn into productive players ans learn &develop on ps

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Sorry but Helu is not physical or tough …he is very soft IMHO!

38. theismann7 - Aug 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Hey Rich….seems I was on to something with the Redd keep huh? Seastrunk being released is a head-scratcher IMO though.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 31, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Hey, I liked Redd a lot, as a player and a great guy to talk to. I just thought the numbers would work against him.

39. kenlinkins - Aug 31, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Looks like GM Allen was right when he said 20 to 25 new faces for the 2014 roster. I see 23, 8 rookies (5 drafted, 3 undrafted free agents) plus 15 Free Agents that were signed sometime this year. There are a total of 29 players with 4 or less NFL years, 15 with 5-7 years, and 10 with 8 or more years (4 of these were brought in this year). The most improved areas seem to be WR, LB (both Inside and Out), and the Pass Rush. The area where the plan just has not worked yet and causes me the most concern is still the O-Line. The Redskins drafted 2 O-Lineman at the 66 and 78 spots (so that 2 guys from the Top 80 rookies) and didn’t find one that was NFL ready or could beat out a very weak starting RG,or RT ( we did find sub package guys with the 47, 102, 142 picks and in 2013 we found starters at other positions with the 51, 85 and 119 pick). The O-line coach does have some say in who the Redskins draft and sign as Free Agents. The Redskins seemed to over pay for Lauvao at RG, and have a first time NFL starter at center, but the biggest disappointment was that neither drafted O-Line was coached up to a point that they were ready to start yet. That’s 2 of the top 80 guys in the draft, both O-Line. This failure points to the O-line coach IMO. Is he too loyal to the guys he has or is his coaching process just too long, or does he have to be replace? There were 5 big concerns heading into the season (O-Line, Pass Rush, WR core, LB core and QB development) and three were fixed (Pass Rush, WR Core LB core) one big failure (O-line) and one question mark (QB development) still to be answered! All in all, a good start, but the O-Line and O-Line coach have me worried.

• gasngo14 - Aug 31, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I get what your saying but I can’t call it a failure just yet when talking about OL …do I have the same questions? ..YES.. but I will allow for the results before I call it a failure.. also Moses and Long could become starters if the right side fails and I could see the coaches giving the starters and rookies time to see what happens in games / practices without throwing the rookies to the wolves right out of the gate. Moses looks impressive to me and actually I think coach Gruden has said neither have been beaten in preseason after 3 games not sure about the 4th game. I will be patient for a few games but when the right side fails I will call for the rookies to start for sure!

40. monty proctor - Aug 31, 2014 at 11:41 PM

If we lose lache seatrunk to another team. This will be a terrible mistake.The potential he has is mind blowing.I believe if given a chance as a punt returner ok kick returner. As well as a third down back.He could be our most dangerous weapon.I usually don’t do emails,Twitter or Facebook. But I have to do this email. This is to important.