Aug 28, 2014, 5:36 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 28, two days before the Redskins cut their roster to 53.
Here are five players who some think are on the roster bubble and will be playing vs. the Bucs tonight who are locks for a roster spot.
Colt McCoy—I’ve gone back and forth on the third QB question but I just don’t see Jay Gruden going with two this year. I don’t think they want to trade Kirk Cousins but I think they want to keep their options open.
Josh LeRibeus—If you’d asked me in March if I’d be using “LeRibeus” and “roster lock” in the same sentence I would have called you crazy. But he showed up this spring in shape and has worked his way onto the roster. It was clinched when Adam Gettis and Mike McGlynn were released.
Aldrick Robinson—I know you’re tired of him being the “offseason MVP”, catching tons of passes in OTAs and training camp and then disappearing when the regular season starts. But his solid offseason, strong finish to last year (12 receptions, 213 yards in December), and, most important, his speed will buy him another year.
Adam Hayward—If you haven’t caught the coin toss ceremony before the preseason games, you might have missed the fact that Hayward has come out as the special teams captain. That cements his position on a team starving for solid special teams play.
E.J. Biggers—There was zero buzz when he was brought back on a minimum-salary deal but he has performed well in training camp. He became a lock when Gruden mentioned him as a possible replacement for the suspended Brandon Meriweather.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins travel to Tampa, no availability
—It’s been 242 days since the Redskins played a game; in 10 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 2; Home opener vs. Jaguars 17; Redskins @ Eagles 24
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game
- Redskins Playbook: Battle for running back reps is on
- Redskins’ left guard competition still undecided