Need to Know: Redskins Park News and Notes–Baker remembers when 4th preseason game was his ‘Super Bowl’
Aug 27, 2014, 5:09 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 27, one day before the Redskins wrap up the preseason against the Bucs.
Redskins Park notes and quotes
The buzz around Ashburn:
—David Amerson hasn’t played a whole lot of cornerback and his life and he said that he’s just starting to feel comfortable at the position. “The big thing is technique,” he said. “Coming out of NC State I was a raw talent getting used to the position. I was a free safety in high school, I was really trying to learn the n an outs of corner. Been around some of these guys that’s been doing it for years, I learned a lot from them. I really started studying other corners. I’m coming together as a complete corner.”
—Amerson is in his first year as a “starting” cornerback but as the nickel back he was in for the first snap of the game many times. “I don’t think it will be too much different,” he said when asked about playing in the season opener in Houston. “Last year on Monday night [in the season opener against the Eagles] I was in on the first snap. I just think I’ll use all that experience. Me experiencing things like that with the crowd and the hype, it was a Monday night game on national television. I just think all that plays into my mentality going into this year.”
—Jay Gruden finished the first round of cuts and he hated it. “It’s hard, you know. I’m a sensitive guy and I’ve been cut before and I hate it,” he said. “We had to do a couple more today and guys that I know very well. It’s just part of the business though and they understand that, but it’s never going to be easy when you have guys that work extremely hard to get to this point.”
—Tracy Porter missed a lot of time in OTAs and training camp with a shoulder injury. Now he is battling another injury but it shouldn’t keep him sidelined. “It was his hamstring. His shoulder’s fine,” said Gruden. “His hamstring was a little sore yesterday but it looks like he’s going to go Thursday.”
—A lot of aspects of Brandon Meriweather’s suspension bothered Ryan Clark. The act that is happened as a result of something that happened in a preseason game was one of them. “You’re talking about a preseason game where you lose a starter for two regular season games,” he said. “That’s a game where isn’t going to get paid a lot to play and he’s not getting paid a lot to play. So we’re either going to have to stop playing preseason games and as starters we aren’t going to be a part of it, as guys who played a long time in this league.”
—Darrel Young is not going to play on Thursday and he’s the only fullback on the roster. What will they do for a fullback? “Not use one. Don’t tell anybody,” said Gruden, laughing. “We have enough formations. We can motion our tight ends back and use them as a fullback-type blocker, but, yes, this will be mainly a one-back set type deal.” Gruden’s Bengals used a fullback on just 17 percent of their plays so if anyone can figure out a way around it, it’s him.
—If you’re looking for a dark horse for the 53-man roster, check out what Gruden said about safety Akeem Davis: “From the safety position, he’s a little bit behind the 8-ball as far as knowing the system, but he’s fighting his tail off and learning and trying to do the best he can,” he said. “But, from a special teams standpoint, he’s a guy that you want out there and we might have to find a way to get him out there on Sunday because he is really, really good out there.”
—Chris Baker’s status has gone up a notch. As a starter he will not be playing on Thursday. He said he will be rooting for the guys who are playing. “Before this year I was always playing in that fourth game and that was like my Super Bowl because I didn’t know if I would make the team or not,” he said. “This game is very important.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins travel to Tampa, no availability
—It’s been 241 days since the Redskins played a game; in 11 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 3; Home opener vs. Jaguars 18; Redskins @ Eagles 25
Tandler and Tarik discuss the Meriweather situation
In case you missed it
- Clark questions the NFL’s process
- Redskins’ kicking competition to be decided in Tampa
- Wendy’s Q&A: 2,000 yards for Redskins’ Morris?
- Numbers don’t add up for Kirk Cousins believers
- A sign that the Redskins really are taking special teams seriously
- Redskins cut OL McGlynn, two others
- Joe Theismann doesn’t back off, explains RG3/Cousins comments
- Redskins’ Gruden on RG3: ‘He’s got to have a trust factor’
- Redskins Park notes and quotes–Gruden says RG3 has to ‘let some things fly’
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring