Aug 26, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, August 26, two days before the Redskins wrap up the preseason against the Bucs.
Redskins Park notes and quotes
The buzz around Ashburn:
—DeAngelo Hall doesn’t have an issue with Brandon Meriweather hittin receivers high. “Keep hittin’, keep hittin’ and I’ll pay the fine,” he said on Monday. We’re pretty sure he was kidding. (note: This was said prior to the announcement that Meriweather will be suspended>)
—Darrel Young indicated that the players have been led to believe that they might play on in the fourth and final preseason game. “Right now we’re playing vs. Tampa on Thursday, that’s what we’re game planning for,” said Young. “If our first team has to go out there for a half or three quarters, we have to do what we have to do.”
—I think Jay Gruden passed along a pretty insightful comment about what’s wrong with Robert Griffin III (emphasis added). “He’s got to have a trust factor that the drop is going to match the receiver’s depth and all that stuff,” he said. “He’s got to let some things fly. He’s just a little bit hesitant right now, which is normal with some new concepts.”
—Hall certainly is aware of the struggles on offense and he sees good reasons that the defense seems to be ahead of the offense. “Our offense, you know, they haven’t been as successful as we have on defense,” he said. “They haven’t been doing some of the this we’ve been doing. It’s a lot easier to run out there and read and react and make tackles as opposed to trying to scheme guys up.”
—Gruden was not going to use the fact that they don’t game plan much for preseason games as an excuse for the team’s issues on offense. ““We’re running concepts that should be successful,” he said. “They should be more successful than they are. We ran a couple outside zone plays where the guard went the wrong way a couple times and that can never happen. We had some other pass plays that should be OK – shouldn’t be as bad looking as they were. We should be better at what we’re doing.”
—Jason Hatcher showed no wear and year after seeing his first preseason action of the season, 19 snaps vs. the Ravens. “He’s good. He played well and he felt good today, so that’s a good sign,” said Gruden.
—Gruden indirectly and probably inadvertently gave us the reason that Rob Jackson was cut. “He’s worked hard, but part of the factoring – it’s not just how well you play that position, it’s what you do that can help the team in other spots, special teams for instance,” said Gruden. The message—if you’re not on special teams you’re not going to be a backup linebacker on this team.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:00 a.m.; Open locker room and Jay Gruden news conference following practice, approx. 1:00.
—It’s been 240 days since the Redskins played a game; in 12 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 4; Home opener vs. Jaguars 19; Redskins @ Eagles 26
Will the starters play vs. Bucs?
In case you missed it
- Reed sits out practice
- RG3 ‘Block all that stuff out’
- Gruden identifies Redskins offensive strength
- Redskins safety Phillip Thomas having foot examined
- Darrel Young says Redskins offense still looking for its identity
- Redskins cut 2012 draft pick
- Redskins defense getting sacks but few takeaways
- Don’t look for RG3 and company in Redskins-Bucs on Thursday
- Five things to watch at Redskins Park including a Plan B for Meriweather
Follow Us On Twitter
- Week 8 Power Rankings: Mighty have fallen
- Redskins snap count analysis vs. Titans
- Jay Gruden joins STL to look ahead to Cowboys
- Gruden says run game needs to improve, including Morris
- Orakpo injury becomes another big blow to Skins defense
- Gruden not ruling out RG3 this week
- Redskins' Gruden: Murphy must 'grow up very fast'
- Gruden on RG3's return: Robert has to be honest
- Gruden: McCoy will start for Redskins vs. Dallas if RG3 not ready
- For Redskins to match Peyton Manning numbers, go back to 1989