Aug 25, 2014, 5:05 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 23, three days before the Redskins wrap up the preseason against the Bucs.
Here are five things I’ll be watching this week at Redskins Park and in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Bucs:
—Clarity at running back—The Redskins had four players who are vying for one or two roster spots when training camp started and nothing has changed. In fact, the picture has grown more muddled by Evan Royster changing from being an afterthought to a real contender with some strong play and with Chris Thompson’s ankle injury dropping his stock.
—The kicking competition—It appears that Zack Hocker missed the sweet spot on a couple of kickoff attempts, sending one short and another squibbing down the field. For his part, Kai Forbath booted a mediocre kickoff in the late going that was returned to near midfield. It still seems like Hocker is ahead but is he up by enough to make Jay Gruden and company comfortable jettisoning the tested (but kickoff-challenged) Forbath?
—QB controversy buzz—There is not really a quarterback controversy but Joe Theismann’s comments do ramp up the rhetoric. Does this become a national “thing” with media asking the players about it?
—A Plan B for Meriweather—It would not be surprising at all if strong safety Brandon Meriweather is suspended for at least the season opener and perhaps longer after he delivered a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ravens WR Torrey Smith last night. Will they start Phillip Thomas, who has worked more at strong safety but hasn’t played much in the preseason due to a hamstring injury? Or will it be Bacarri Rambo, who is more of a free safety?
—Injury recoveries—It appears that Stephen Bowen and Leonard Hankerson will start the season the PUP list but we don’t know that for certain. The trickier injuries are to inside linebacker Darryl Sharpton, who has a high ankle sprain, and Morgan Moses, who has a sprained MCL. If it looks like they will be out for a while, extra bodies at their positions may need to be carried on the 53.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Practice and player availability, times TBA
—It’s been 239 days since the Redskins played a game; in 13 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 5; Home opener vs. Jaguars 20; Redskins @ Eagles 27
In case you missed it
- Redskins release Rob Jackson
- Jason Hatcher enjoys productive debut for Redskins
- Injured Thompson, grieving Seastrunk sit out vs. Ravens
- Redskins may have found solution to replacing London Fletcher
- Gruden: Struggles on first and second down hurt offense
- How can Cousins ‘win’ a ‘Skins QB competition that never happened?
- Redskins-Ravens notes–Defense delivers some good (mostly legal) hits
Follow Us On Twitter
- Eagles trade Barkley, what does this mean for Tebow?
- Chris Thomspon reveals secret to healthy offseason, and secure roster spot
- Redskins 2015 roster cuts tracker
- Redskins WR Ross: 'I gave it my all'
- Griffin to see two specialists Friday
- Gruden talks about Redskins on the bubble
- Roster Bubble: Did Jackson Jeffcoat do enough to make the 53?
- Redskins drop preseason finale despite effort from Ross
- Redskins Pulse: Colt leads Redskins in preseason finale
- Bubble watch final version: Predicting the Redskins’ 53-man roster