Aug 24, 2014, 5:55 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 24, four days before the Redskins wrap up the preseason against the Bucs.
Some notes, quotes, and numbers from Saturday’s preseason game in Baltimore.
—There really is no way to put lipstick on the pig that was performance of the first-team offense. The worst number generated was five. That was their net passing yardage in the first half. Robert Griffin III passed for 20 yards on five of seven passing but they lost 15 yards on three sacks. Just plain ugly.
—The Redskins’ front line defense, on the other hand, was not bad. They sacked Joe Flacco twice and held the Ravens to just 17 yards rushing. After going almost three quarters without allowing a touchdown in the preseason, they finally gave on up a touchdown on a nice catch by Steve Smith in the last minute of the first half.
—Jason Hatcher got one of those sacks in his firs game in a Redskins uniform. “It was good to see himout there in a first game experience with us and it looks like he got a sack,” said Jay Gruden. “As for a negative he has to get in playing shape. I could see that he was a little winded out there.” They might have to work Hatcher in gradually over the first few games.
—The Redskins defense got in some jarring hits. All were legal except for one delivered by Brandon Meriweather on Ravens receiver Torrey Smith. That drew a flurry of flags, a 15-yard penalty, and a likely fine for Meriweather. “I’m trying to do what the NFL has me [doing],” said Meriweather, who has been fined and suspended for such hits in the past. “The first chance I get, it seems like I failed.”
—If you can base anything on preseason play it’s very possible that Keenan Robinson will represent an upgrade over London Fletcher, the 2013 version of him anyway. Robinson had four tackles, two of them for losses, knocked away a pass, and forced a fumble. He has a long way to go but so far, so good.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
—It’s been 238 days since the Redskins played a game; in 14 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 6; Home opener vs. Jaguars 21; Redskins @ Eagles 28
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Ranking the Redskins roster: 53-41
- Ranking the Redskins 2016 roster: 53-41
- Over/under: Josh Docton's rookie season with the Redskins
- Redskins position preview: Expectations for Scherff are sky high
- Need to Know: Luck's extension was no surprise to Redskins, Cousins
- How many tight ends will the Redskins carry on 53-man roster?
- Fact or Fiction: Redskins’ special teams units will continue to improve
- Josh Norman earns respect from peers, sets new 'Top 100' standard for Redskins
- A $20 million yearly average is now the floor for a Cousins deal
- Need to Know: Are the Cowboys the Redskins' biggest threat in the NFC East?