Aug 23, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 23, five days before the Redskins wrap up the preseason against the Bucs.
Here are five possible surprise cuts by the Redskins when they trim the team to 53 players a week from today.
Colt McCoy—While there has been plenty of speculation that the Redskins could go with two quarterbacks, most analysts have McCoy staying. That could change with a particularly strong performance by some players or injuries that force the team to use the third QB roster spot for another position.
Rob Jackson—He’s supposed to be a playmaker but he really hasn’t done much this preseason. He’s holding on but if Adrian Robinson or Gabe Miller comes on strong he could be in trouble.
Josh LeRibeus—The 2012 third-round pick reported in shape and he has been playing well. But his survival on the roster will come down to a numbers game. If they keep eight or nine on the O-line, he’s probably out. If they keep 10, he’s got a good shot.
E. J. Biggers—He was the first nickel back for most of training camp. But he could get squeezed out by Tracy Porter, who was guaranteed $2 million, and Bashaud Breeland, who was a fourth-round pick
Bacarri Rambo—He’s made progress at safety but since he’s been playing there a lot he hasn’t done much on special teams. If he can’t demonstrate some ability to perform in the kicking game, Akeem Davis or Trenton Robinson could jump up and steal the spot.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Redskins Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen was born on this date in 1934
—Today’s schedule: Redskins vs. Ravens, M&T Bank Stadium, 7:30
—It’s been 237 days since the Redskins played a game; in 15 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 7; Home opener vs. Jaguars 22; Redskins @ Eagles 29
In case you missed it
- Competition ongoing
- Rypien to Redskins Ring of Fame
- Lack of practice time could sideline Thompson even if healthy
- Williams, Hall receive Redskins’ top honors
- What to watch: Players on the bubble
- Redskins running out of days to make Bowen PUP decision
- Redskins Park notes–Gruden will make first cuts quickly
Follow Us On Twitter
- Michael Jenkins' take on the NFL Draft
- Redskins release 13 players after 2015 NFL Draft
- McCloughan grants reprieve to holdover scouts -- for now
- McCloughan got exactly what he wanted in Scherff
- Character counted for McCloughan in his first Redskins draft
- NFL Draft: Top 15 prospects for 2016
- Scot McCloughan first draft 'excellent'
- Gruden says Matt Jones won’t affect Morris’ role
- How others graded the Redskins' draft
- OPEN THREAD: Did Redskins get better following NFL draft?