Need to Know: Redskins Park notes–Gruden will make first cuts quickly

Aug 22, 2014, 4:47 AM EDT

Redskins-helmets-1

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 22, one day before the Redskins play their third preseason game against the Ravens.

Redskins Park quick hits

The buzz around Redskins Park on Thursday.

—The cut from 90 to 75 has to be done by 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Mike Shanahan generally waited until the deadline to make his cuts, bringing back players to practice after the third preseason game. Redskins coach Jay Gruden will not make players wait and wonder. He will take care of business on Sunday. “Right now the plan is they’ll be off Sunday and then for practice we’ll hopefully get all the cuts done Sunday on the day off,” he said.

—Sorry I didn’t get this up earlier, here is my spot on PFT Live with Mike Florio from Tuesday, talking about the Redskins, RG3, Alfred Morris and more. I come in at about the 8:00 mark.

—This via Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com: To teams went undefeated in the preseason last year. The Redskins went on to a 3-13 nightmare of a season. The Seahawks went 13-3 and won it all. Maybe someday someone will believe me when I saw that the results of preseason games are meaningless.

—Even if Robert Malone makes the Redskins as the punter, which seems likely, he should rent, maybe week to week. Here’s what Gruden said after bringing in punter Tress Way. “We’ve got the extra spot so why not bring another guy in? And that could be the case quite often throughout the year, depending on how we’re doing at the position,” he said. Not exactly a ringing vote of confidence for Mr. Malone.

—Gruden was asked if they have decided how many players they would keep at each position and if deciding on the 53 was a matter of filling in the slots. “There’s a varying number that could be at a lot of positions, whether it’s three or four running backs or five running backs, could be six, seven wideouts, nine linemen, 10 lineman, six D-linemen, 7 D-linemen,” he said.

—The Ravens’ top three cornerbacks are all out for Saturday’s game. We will see if Robert Griffin III and company can take advantage.

—You may have seen some tweets saying that Lache Seastrunk was not at practice along with some speculation that a strained arch he was suffering from in Richmond had come back. As it turned out, he was not there due to a personal matter. Over the weekend he tweeted that his grandmother had passed away.

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Andrews Air Force Base (closed to public and media) 10 a.m.; Welcome home luncheon at National Harbor noon; Jay Gruden remarks following

—It’s been 236 days since the Redskins played a game; in 16 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.

Days until: Final cuts 8; Home opener vs. Jaguars 23; Redskins @ Eagles 30

1. societalrebel - Aug 22, 2014 at 6:41 AM

What percentage chance does Breeland have of locking down that nickel CB position that he’s earned? Thanks.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 22, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Not sure how he has “earned” the nickel position yet. He hasn’t faced a decent QB yet. I think they’ll work him in gradually and if he performs well against the Tony Romos and the Andrew Lucks of the world maybe he’ll get that nickel job.

2. deepball1 - Aug 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM

[edited]

Sorry, this is not a forum for political debates. Even when a member of the team makes a political statement, this is not the place to discuss it.

–RT

• mrx149 - Aug 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Thank you Rich. I didn’t see what he wrote, but I come here to read/talk football. Keep that garbage out of here.

• deepball1 - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM

and yet the liberals trying to change the Redskins name is nothing but politics and we discuss that all the time.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Really? Please go back and find comments about the name here. Please. Maybe one or two but far from “all the time”.

3. greed - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Correct me if im wrong rich but on comcast yesterday tarik reported leribus was moved to the rightside & in games long had been on right guard while j leribus was LG can you clear that up for me

• Rich Tandler - Aug 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

No, report was that both Long and Moses are moving from left, where they have been playing, to right. Would assume LeRibeus and Compton make the opposite move.

> >

• kenlinkins - Aug 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Rich< Did I hear that Long and Moses would start the 3rd preseason game (over Chester and Polumbus)?

• Rich Tandler - Aug 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Not sure what you heard but that is incorrect. Gruden told Tarik of CSN that Long and Moses might get some snaps with the first team. We took this to mean perhaps late in the second quarter when they will start to run some subs in and out.

I think it might depend on if Baltimore keeps in their starting front seven. Hard for me to see having the two rookies protecting the franchise QB against the Ravens’ starters. If they sub along the line, Gruden could counter with the rookies.

Moses is catching on. I’m still don’t see him starting this year barring injury but he should be ready in 2015.

4. jayovalentine - Aug 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM

[edit]

Sorry, my friend. We stick to football here and the name debate is not something that will be discussed.

5. kenlinkins - Aug 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I like the way head coach Gruden said he will handle the cuts from 90 man roster to 75. I never understood why coach Shanahan waited so long. After the 3rd preseason game the team should know just who the first 15 cuts will be buy that time. Making so many guys wait on pins and needles for 2 extra days just doesn’t seem right and I am sure it hurt the team in the long run. Does anyone know what benefit coach Shanahan believed he received by waiting on the first round of cuts?

6. aprilwalker2013 - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I hear ya on preseason games Rich, but it always seems to me when we win all our ps games we have a horrible year. I would really like to know if this is the case. I’ve thought this for many many years. Are the preseason records kept anywhere so I could see if this is true? HTTR

7. aprilwalker2013 - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Reblogged this on aprilwalker2013's Blog and commented:
    I’ve always believed when we do well in preseason, we have a bad year.

8. Jimmy kubas - Aug 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I believe dat assessment on the preseason .if i remember correctly,every year we won the SUPERBOWL we didn’t win a preseason game.