Aug 22, 2014, 4:47 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 22, one day before the Redskins play their third preseason game against the Ravens.
Redskins Park quick hits
The buzz around Redskins Park on Thursday.
—The cut from 90 to 75 has to be done by 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Mike Shanahan generally waited until the deadline to make his cuts, bringing back players to practice after the third preseason game. Redskins coach Jay Gruden will not make players wait and wonder. He will take care of business on Sunday. “Right now the plan is they’ll be off Sunday and then for practice we’ll hopefully get all the cuts done Sunday on the day off,” he said.
—Sorry I didn’t get this up earlier, here is my spot on PFT Live with Mike Florio from Tuesday, talking about the Redskins, RG3, Alfred Morris and more. I come in at about the 8:00 mark.
—This via Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com: To teams went undefeated in the preseason last year. The Redskins went on to a 3-13 nightmare of a season. The Seahawks went 13-3 and won it all. Maybe someday someone will believe me when I saw that the results of preseason games are meaningless.
—Even if Robert Malone makes the Redskins as the punter, which seems likely, he should rent, maybe week to week. Here’s what Gruden said after bringing in punter Tress Way. “We’ve got the extra spot so why not bring another guy in? And that could be the case quite often throughout the year, depending on how we’re doing at the position,” he said. Not exactly a ringing vote of confidence for Mr. Malone.
—Gruden was asked if they have decided how many players they would keep at each position and if deciding on the 53 was a matter of filling in the slots. “There’s a varying number that could be at a lot of positions, whether it’s three or four running backs or five running backs, could be six, seven wideouts, nine linemen, 10 lineman, six D-linemen, 7 D-linemen,” he said.
—The Ravens’ top three cornerbacks are all out for Saturday’s game. We will see if Robert Griffin III and company can take advantage.
—You may have seen some tweets saying that Lache Seastrunk was not at practice along with some speculation that a strained arch he was suffering from in Richmond had come back. As it turned out, he was not there due to a personal matter. Over the weekend he tweeted that his grandmother had passed away.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
— Rich Tandler (@Rich_TandlerCSN) August 21, 2014
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Andrews Air Force Base (closed to public and media) 10 a.m.; Welcome home luncheon at National Harbor noon; Jay Gruden remarks following
—It’s been 236 days since the Redskins played a game; in 16 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 8; Home opener vs. Jaguars 23; Redskins @ Eagles 30
In case you missed it
- RG3: ‘I said what I needed to say’
- Redskins NT Barry Cofield returns to practice
- Rookies Moses and Long move to the right side of Redskins’ O-line
- Gruden: Redskins defenders must deal with new rules emphasis
- What to watch: Redskins work to adapt to new offense
- Gruden preparing his Redskins for the grind of the season
- Redskins’ Gruden looks for big impact from Jason Hatcher
- Redskins Park quick hits–Ex-QB Gruden couldn’t slide either
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Doctson not sure when he will return, won't rush Achilles injury
- Redskins' RT Moses is taking nothing for granted
- Gruden gives timeline for Perry Riley, Shawn Lauvao return from injury
- Gruden's advice for injured Josh Doctson: Be patient and hurry up
- Cousins confident but for now 'it's all just talk'
- Kirk Cousins happy with pay raise, won't have any complaints
- Junior Galette willing to 'travel around the world' in order to avoid surgery
- OPEN THREAD: Does a healthy Ryan Kerrigan make up for the loss of Junior Galette?
- Redskins fans brave nasty temperatures bright and early for training camp view
- Redskins do not have to pay Galette while on NFI list