Aug 21, 2014, 4:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 21, two days before the Redskins play their third preseason game against the Ravens.
Redskins Park quick hits
The buzz from Redskins Park on Wednesday:
—There never was much of a competition but Keenan Robinson has won the job to succeed London Fletcher at Mike linebacker. “He’s the first team Mike linebacker for sure,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said of Robinson. “He’s done a great job, he’s flying around, and so far he’s done nothing to relinquish that.”
—Chris Thompson got back to practice but Gruden did not sound too bullish on his prospects of playing against the Ravens. “Chris Thompson was limited; he went in individual drills only,” said Gruden. “Still looked a little tentative on it but he was doing it which was a good start, but he’s got a little ways to go.” If Thompson missed the Ravens game his shot at a roster spot would come down to the fourth and final preseason game in Tampa Bay.
—Gruden jokingly lamented that the new illegal contact emphasis came after he was only responsible for the offensive side of the ball as the coordinator in Cincinnati. “Being an offensive coordinator the last three years, the rule [illegal contact] has always been in place,” he said. “I don’t know why they didn’t call it the last three years when I was an Offensive Coordinator.”
—The coach especially didn’t like the two false starts called against Robert Griffin III. On the press conference podium he tried to demonstrate how difficult it was to yell “hut!” loud enough to be heard in noisy stadium you almost had to bob your head. “That to me was a little insane.”
—Gruden was on something of a comic roll. Asked if he knew how to slide when he played quarterback (Louisville and the Arena League), he laughed and said, ““No. I usually just got killed. That’s why I limp a lot.”
—Leonard Hankerson doesn’t think he’ll play in any of the preseason games. He thinks he’ll be ready to come off of the PUP list in two weeks but final cuts are nine days away. The odds that he will start the season on the PUP list, which would put him on the shelf for a minimum of six weeks, seem pretty strong.
—Gruden said that Jason Hatcher was good to go for his Redskins debut in Baltimore. “Yeah, he did practice and team drills today,” he said. “He’s fired up and ready to go. He looked good today. So, he’s going to play against Baltimore and we’re excited to see him in his first action as a Redskin.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:00 a.m.; Player availability and Jay Gruden news conference after practice (approx. 1:00).
—It’s been 235 days since the Redskins played a game; in 17 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 9; Home opener vs. Jaguars 24; Redskins @ Eagles 31
In case you missed it
- Biggest test yet for Redskins defense
- Redskins claim P Tress Way off waivers
- Jay Gruden: RG3 has got to get down to get up
- Barry Cofield (groin) sits out Redskins practice
- Jay Gruden names the Redskins starting middle linebacker
- Hatcher set to make Redskins debut on Saturday
- DeAngelo Hall calls Rambo the Redskins’ ‘best player’ in preseason
- Redskins Chris Thompson feels ‘much better’ but unsure vs Ravens
- Redskins’ Hankerson does not expect to play in preseason
- NFL expands both practice squad size and eligibility
- Bowen renegotiation saves Redskins some cap room now, perhaps more later
- Gruden: Redskins starters to play at least a half vs. Ravens
Follow Us On Twitter
- RG3, Jackson receive awards at annual Redskins luncheon
- Wife of McCloughan apologizes for 'disparaging remarks' about ESPN reporter
- Tandler predicts the 53-man roster on Redskins Nation
- Jeff Bostic joins Redskins Nation to talk about entering Ring of Fame
- Garcon thinks RG3 can be great 'on any team he goes'
- As final cuts loom, how many Redskins are roster locks?
- Fantasy Football: Updated top 150 rankings
- OPEN THREAD: Have we seen the last of RG3 on Redskins?
- The QB won't matter if special teams don't improve
- Why didn't the Redskins have a quarterback competition?