Need to Know: 5 Redskins who helped themselves vs. the Browns

Aug 20, 2014, 4:32 AM EST

Ryan-Grant-vs-Browns

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 20, three days before the Redskins play their third preseason game against the Ravens.

Nickel coverage

There was plenty of movement during the Redskins’ preseason game against the Browns; some players solidified their grips on a roster spot, others may have moved up the depth chart. Here are five who helped themselves against Cleveland.

Bashaud Breeland was in little danger of having his status affected by his marijuana arrest a week ago but he made sure of it on Monday night. He tied for the team lead in combined tackles with five, most of which delivered some pain to the ball carrier, knocked down two passes, and recovered a fumble.

Bacarri Rambo solidified his grip on a roster spot with four tackles and a forced fumble. But what may have been most important stat, he had a special teams tackle. His lack of enthusiasm for playing on the kicking units last year kept him on the inactive list for much of the year, which stunted his development at safety. If that turns around he could have a future here.

—The Redskins scored four times, had four turnovers, and lost the ball once on downs. That added up to only two punts for the Redskins and Robert Malone’s (42 yards) was better than Blake Clingan’s (34). Malone has consistently been better in practice and it’s hard to see him not being the punter against the Texans on September 7.

Lache Seastrunk ran for 35 yards on seven carries (5.0/carry), mostly in the late going. He was the only Redskins running back to average over four yards per carry. He’s showing that he knows how to use his speed with the ball in his arm as opposed to being just a fast guy. He may not have achieved “lock” status yet but he’s getting close.

Ryan Grant led the team in receptions with four, picking up 44 yards and a touchdown. But his best catch came before the game. Early in warmups he stuck out one hand and made a jaw-dropping catch. He then tucked the ball under his arm and turned upfield like it was routine. The coaches probably didn’t see it and it wasn’t on film but it doesn’t really matter. He is solidifying his grip on the role as the top receiver off of the bench behind the big three of Jackson, Garçon, and Roberts.

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

Today’s schedule: Open locker room 11:15; Practice 1 p.m.; Jay Gruden news conference after practice (approx. 3:00)

—It’s been 234 days since the Redskins played a game; in 18 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.

Days until: Final cuts 10; Home opener vs. Jaguars 25; Redskins @ Eagles 32

Gruden wasn’t going to call as pass “in a million years” in goal line situation

1. davidblanket - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Need to know … what you need to know … 5 reasons never to read another Tandler article …

• Rich Tandler - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I guess if you don’t like Redskins content 365 days a year then this isn’t the place for you. Have a good day.

• Tyler - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Wow some people just hate. Thanks Rich for the info.

• John - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Yeah, what Rich said. #HailRich.

• manchild157 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Free country, free press, you don’t like it, take a hike. There is quite alot of people who do enjoy having someone on the sidelines at times when fans can’t. Plus he has some astute observations as well as experience around football.

• tnt66 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM

That was a needless troll comment. Not forced to visit site and I like his stuff

• clp5150 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM

You’re a moron!

Rich, keep up the great work! Love reading your site!

2. tnt66 - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Interesting article. Keim has Royster and Redd ahead of Seastrunk and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I thought Royster had a solid game and Keim says Redd has done better in pass protection. All three backs have looked good to me. To be honest the back that had the worst game IMO was Helu. I think he dropped a pass and saw him do a very poor job in pass protection on one crucial play. The final preseason games will be important

• Rich Tandler - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I saw that from Keim. I don’t disagree that maybe Royster and/or Redd have performed better than Seastrunk. But the way I see it, Redd and Royster don’t give the Redskins anything they don’t have in Morris and Helu (who is a lock, by the way). Seastrunk gives them the element of speed and while he may or may not be a better player right now I think they will hold on to Seastrunk.

> >

• tnt66 - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I guess Thompson could force his way back into the picture if he comes back and has two great preseason games but his injury history and inability to stay on the field are killing his chances. Too bad because his speed makes him dangerous.

3. shermanp79 - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I so wished the Skins grabbed Mathews but where they took Grant, he has shown he can play. It’s clear they felt they could get a guy latter. I think Robinson continued to play well. I think his speed has him in the mix with Grant for guys off the bench. I think it comes down to who is being replaced or the situation if 4 WR are used, which I don’t think will be used too much with Reed being healthy.
    I was excited about Rambo’ play. After what was coming out of camp early, he clearly has stepped up his play After watching Breeland play, I wonder if he ha jumped ahead of Biggers and Porter. Could he be the 3rd guy? Him being so physical is huge, I don’t really like Porter anyway, I think his play has been inconsistent throughout his career. They both need another good game this week but if so I wonder if Porter could be in trouble. I know the 2million price is there but I hope they don’t make decisions based on that. We have a lot of youth and Clarke probably is one year and done. It would be nice for Thomas to stand out now, I guess being quiet vs bad isn’t a bad thing. How Cleveland’s passing game went, he didn’t have may plays to break up..
    The backfield needs Seastrunk’s speed. We haven’t had the big play in a long time. I think Portis was the last to have it. If he can catch, he could take some of those short passes and run a long way. This game Helu didn’t do much bt he didn’t have many chances, I hope this week we can see him have an impact. I think Royster looked good with his few plays but he is in a number’s crunch. Unless something surprising happens, he will be gone. He can help a team, I’m sure someone grabs him.

4. irishhockey84 - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I really like what I see from Grant. For a rookie he has great route running. As for the running backs they all look pretty good. Seastrunk has shown that he’s explosive and makes good cuts and decisions. The biggest questions are pass protection and receiving. I saw Redd make a couple good blocks in pass protection and he’s look good running as well. Hopefully Breeland can learn from his mistakes, because he’s look real good. Plus he can lay the hammer down on guys.

5. bowlregard - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Another guy who helped himself was D Young. It may be that Gruden appreciates his versatility more than Shanahan did. Glad to see his number called Monday night.

I know the problem at RB is a good one to have, but boy I hate cutting good players, and the Skins will have to cut two good RBs. If they knew Lache would clear waivers a year on the practice squad wouldn’t be bad, but speed is in demand. The thing is, besides Helu, Royster is the one back good catching the ball out of the backfield. You can never be sure that someone who hasn’t shown the skill can learn it.

• gasngo14 - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I would cut Helu & Royster, both drop passes and miss to many key blocks, they have also had issues with health. IMO they have had their fair shot at playing well and neither have took advantage, lets see these young guys develop!

6. skinsdawg - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I’ve never been an Aldrick Robinson fan. But I must admit, he is much improved over the final few games last year- and now this preseason. Looks like a football player now- and not jst a speed-deamon. He’s got a spot. And man- Ryan Grant can flat-out play this game. LOVE him! Looks like Hank is odd-man out. PUP list / I-R maybe. Moss is still excellent. But he’s 35. ?? Just don’t know how it shakes out. I like Hoffman for Pr Sq. And I like Rasheed Ross on the roster- or first man off the Pr Squad! Thomson goes. Injured always. I like Mo, Roy, D-Y…. then Seastrunk & Redd. That’s 5. If not possible, then Redd to PSq. Those guys can all bring something.

Breeland is looking GREAT! Way ahead of schedule. I predict he’ll put Tracy Porter on the bench very early on. I’d say Porter goes ($$)….. but I guess we’ll need the depth. Baker looking excellent too. And Rambo is night and day from last year. Finally Kennan Robinson looking ready for sure. Yeah- I think D will improve by a long-shot. Middle of the pack in this league now- instead of bottom. Now…. just worried about the O-Line…. And RG SLIDE!!!!!

7. kenlinkins - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Rich: While I agree that these 5 guys all helped themselves at just the right time what I (and I guess all Redskins fans) do not know is “what is Coach Gruden looking for” in players to start his first year. What is his 1,3,5 year plan? What does he feel he requires in year one, vs. what he feels is required for the long haul. Which guys does he feel are “just the best he has” vs. “what he sees as long term answers” to key positions. Which guys does he feel require a year of development and which guys will the gamble of keeping them pay off down the road. Will he allow a few guys with a bit more talent today go in order to keep guys he believes can become starters later even if they were not high draft picks AND which high draft picks will he give up on? A good head coach plans ahead when building a team and I just wonder which guys coach Gruden thinks more of than he is letting on right now in order to get what he wants long term. I wonder what the 53 man roster will look like as it will give us the most insight into coach Gruden’s plans. Rich: Any shockers you see coming on cut down day? Care to make a guess?

8. rg3skinsgetsome - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Can we cut chris chester, this guy is gonna get rg3 killed, would love to see leribeuis take over and long backing him up

• kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Chester’s biggest problem is having Kory L on one side of him and Polumbus on the other. Sometimes a weak OG requires a good C and OT to help him in pass protection. For some reason Kory L and Chester keep tripping over each other and can not ‘hand off” pass rushers to each other well. You are correct, they could get RG3 killed this year if they keep those 3 together.