Aug 18, 2014, 5:17 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 18, five days before the Redskins play their third preseason game against the Ravens.
Three and out
Five Redskins players who will be in the spotlight tonight as they host the Browns in tonight’s preseason game.
- Brian Orakpo—The Browns are likely to pass a lot since they’re using this game to determine if Brian Hoyer or Jonny Manziel will be their quarterback to start the season. That means that the Redskins will be expected to bring a lot of pass pressure, led by Orakpo, the franchise player who is supposed to be the pass rush lynchpin.
- Lache Seastrunk—With Chris Thompson (ankle) sitting out, Seastrunk is the lone speed back who will dress. He will get a chance to put some distance between himself and Thompson with a good performance.
- Santana Moss—Last week when talking about the next tier of receivers behind the big three of Jackson, Roberts, and Garçon, Jay Gruden mentioned Ryan Grant and Aldrick Robinson as the main backups. There was no mention of the veteran Moss. He should get some chances tonight to show that he deserves to be mentioned.
- Bacarri Rambo—He played pretty well against New England but all of the Patriots’ top-shelf offensive talent sat out and an open-field tackling situation never presented itself. The second-year safety is going to have to overcome some tougher situations to lock up a spot on the 53.
- Colt McCoy—He went eight for nine with a 150 passer rating against the Patriots. That’s fine but he still has work to do to convince Gruden and company that a third quarterback is necessary. Problem is, if the completes, say, 60 percent of his passes and throws a pick it will look like he’s going backwards.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Former Redskins kick returner and current Comcast SportsNet Redskins analyst Brian Mitchell was born on this date in 1968.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins vs. Browns, FedEx Field, 8:00 p.m.
—It’s been 232 days since the Redskins played a game; in 20 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Final cuts 12; Home opener vs. Jaguars 27; Redskins @ Eagles 34
Storylines abound on Monday night
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Playbook: How serious is Jamison Crowder's injury situation?
- Need to Know: Numbers game on Redskins O-line is taking shape
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game