Aug 17, 2014, 5:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 17, one day before the Redskins host the Browns on preseason Monday night football.
The Redskins starting lineup seems to be pretty well set but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t some big personnel questions that need to be answered. Here is a look at the top four lingering questions.
—Who will be the kicker? The winner between Kai Forbath and Zach Hocker will be in and the loser will be cut. Jay Gruden has said repeatedly that the competition will be decided in preseason games. If that’s the case, the rookie Hocker has a big edge as Forbath was short and wide on a 46-yard field goal and booted a kickoff out of bounds against the Patriots. But there still are three more games to go.
—Who will be the nickel back? Tracy Porter and E. J. Biggers have switched off there through camp except when Porter was not fully participating as he finished rehabbing his shoulder. Bashaud Breeland was also taking some first-team nickel snaps before his brush with the law on Monday. It appears that Breeland will be the guy eventually but what happens in the short term is up in the air.
—Who will return punts and kickoffs? As of right now Andre Robert sits atop the unofficial depth chart at both spots. It’s possible that he will remain there when the season starts but it might be tough to do if he is going to play 40-50 snaps a game at wide receiver. If he can get healthy, Chris Thompson should get a shot at kickoff returns and Richard Crawford may get a crack at punts.
—Who is the fourth wide receiver? The other day Gruden said that as of right now Ryan Grant and Aldrick Robinson are playing the best out of the receiver outside of the big three. Where does that leave Santana Moss and will Leonard Hankerson come off of the PUP before the season starts.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Redskins linebacker Akeem Jordan was born on this date in 1985
—Today’s schedule: Closed walkthrough at Redskins Park, no availability.
—It’s been 231 days since the Redskins played a game; in 21 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins at Ravens 6; Final cuts 13; Home opener vs. Jaguars 28
Tandler and Tarik look at Monday’s game
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- PHOTO: Redskins CB Josh Norman meets Nats star Bryce Harper
- Report: Reggie Ragland has enlarged aorta, could fall in draft
- Final NFL mock draft thoughts: Options galore for Redskins
- Three questions for the Redskins on Day 1 of the NFL Draft
- Ben Standig's 2016 NFL Mock Draft: Final first round revealed
- Redskins' draft prospect wants entire league to know he's clean
- Ryan Kerrigan nails Backstreet Boys song in 'Carpool Karaoke" spinoff
- Redskins' GM McCloughan: Blocking tight ends 'a dying breed'
- Redskins Mock Draft, v 4.0: The final haul before the real thing
- Redskins' McCloughan: 'The optimism is there'