Aug 15, 2014, 4:48 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 15, three days before the Redskins host the Browns on preseason Monday night football.
—With Johnny Manziel coming to town and likely to play a half (either the first or second) against the Redskins, Robert Griffin III was asked if he knew his fellow former Heisman Trophy winner and was asked to compare himself to Johnny Football. “I know him OK,” he said. “We’re part of the Nissan Heisman House together. I’ve had a chance to talk to him but my job’s not to compare. Anybody that wants to compare, I’m sure they’ll just say both of us are real fast, guys that can play backyard football at times, we both want to win.”
—I asked Adam Hayward, who is likely to be the Redskins’ new special teams captain, if he knew about what went on with the kicking units last year. It sounds like he’s starting from scratch. “I wasn’t here,” he said. “I look at it as it wasn’t my problem because I wasn’t here to fix it and try to help make it better.”
—Jay Gruden is a huge Alfred Morris fan. It’s not just that the third-year back could help the first-year coach win a lot of games with his rushing ability; Gruden also likes the way Morris works and practices. “Alfred is Steady Eddie. He just comes to work every day,” said Gruden. He makes his reads, he makes his cuts, does what he’s supposed to do. He’s just an impressive kid… Just everything about him is impressive to me – the way he prepares, the way he works, the way he practices.”
—Gruden was clearly focused on what was going in during Thursday’s practice, which lasted about two and a half hours. But he did note what a nice day it was for mid-August in the D. C. area. “It’s a great day out here today, the weather was – I don’t know what it was, 75 degrees? – it was beautiful,” he said. “I needed a golf club. It was a great day and a great intensity. We got a lot done today so it was fun to see.”
—Griffin was asked if he has talked to Kyle Shanahan since he was fired as the Redskins’ offensive coordinator. He said no without saying it. “We’ll leave that where it’s at,” he said. Will he talk with Kyle if he runs into him before the game? “Yeah, it’s not that kind of relationship that we wouldn’t talk,” he said. “So if I get a chance to see him, chance to talk to him, I definitely will.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 8:35 a.m., players available and Jay Gruden news conference after practice.
—It’s been 229 days since the Redskins played a game; in 23 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins at Ravens 8; Final cuts 15; Home opener vs. Jaguars 30
Redskins happy to be home, have top threats back on the field
In case you missed it
- Gruden: RG3 making progress learning ‘all the little things’
- Garçon, Jackson expected to make preseason debut Monday
- Gruden hopes Breeland can learn from ‘terrible mistake’
- Phillip Thomas returns, Brandon Meriweather sits out
- How many quarterbacks will the Redskins carry?
- The five best players at Redskins training camp
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins sign 13 undrafted free agents
- Jordan Reed doesn't see how defenses will be able to keep up with Redskins' legion of receivers
- Jordan Reed eager to prove he's worth the money
- Jordan Reed discusses big contract extension with the Redskins
- Redskins get a draft pick in the fold
- Redskins building a long-term core of star players
- Reed deal a big item off of Redskins to-do list
- Redskins make Jordan Reed second-highest paid tight end in NFL
- What do sports books think of Doctson's chances to win Rookie of the Year?
- After 2016 NFL Draft, Redskins Super Bowl odds shift for next season