Aug 13, 2014, 4:54 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 13, five days before the Redskins host the Browns on preseason Monday night football.
—Will Hard Knocks come knocking in Richmond? Bruce Allen was asked about the possibility of the Redskins being on the HBO reality series. “Hard Knocks has been something that we’ve discussed. We’ll discuss it in the future, but I think this was very good for Coach Gruden’s first year to get this team together, not to have anything but the team together . . . It’s something the league brings up, usually at the spring meetings, the different teams that they’re going to be talking to and we’ll see what the league does next year.”
—Gruden begged off when I asked him if he had decided how much the starters will play against the Browns on Monday. “Not yet. We’re going to go through the rest of the week and practice,” he said. “We have Thursday, Friday, we’ll be in some pads and then Saturday, we’ll taper off. I’ll see where we are from a health standpoint and we’ll go from there, but I expect them to play a little bit more than last week.”
—After the first Patriots joint practice Gruden said that his defense was gassed after dealing with the quick tempo of Tom Brady running the offense. Gruden was asked if they had done anything about conditioning. “Coach [Jacob] Burney is doing a good job keeping them after practice,” he said. “Our strength coaches are working with them and they weren’t grossly out of shape – it was just something that needs to be addressed with all the no-huddles we’re seeing. It’s the first time we’ve really saw a tempo like that, that New England’s came and threw at us. So it was really good for them to understand that ‘Hey, maybe I’m not in the best shape of my life. Maybe I do need some extra conditioning, extra work.’”
—Allen talked about having a training camp that ended without any major drama, or anything minor, for that matter. “Well, many of the players and many of the coaches weren’t here last year, so they’re unaware of the drama unless they read the newspapers,” he said. “We just wanted to focus on getting better every day, and that’s been Coach Gruden’s motto from the beginning. When you focus on today’s events and today’s meetings and today’s practices, you sort of lose all of that drama.”
—Here is Gruden talking on the same topic. “I never want a media circus or anything like that,” he said. “I don’t know what happened last year, I wasn’t here. I think it was pretty smooth. I think everybody’s on the same page as far as what we’re talking about, what we’re doing on the field. There’s no hidden agendas I don’t think. Hopefully that remains consistent throughout the season, not just in training camp. So moving forward, hopefully we can stay in that train of thought and mentality.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
—It’s been 227 days since the Redskins played a game; in 25 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins at Ravens 10; Final cuts 17; Home opener vs. Jaguars 32
Gruden on how many QB’s
In case you missed it
- No QB controversy in DC
- Allen: Redskins will make cap moves prior to start of season
- As camp ends, Gruden likes Redskins’ chemistry, progress
- How many running backs on the Redskins’ 53?
- Jay Gruden on Jordan Reed: Should be ‘full go Thursday’
- Gruden and staff start to weigh risk-reward on roster cuts
- Fantasy Football busts and why you should stay away
- Redskins camp news and notes–Wrapping it up in Richmond
Follow Us On Twitter
- Jay Gruden on possibility Skins draft Mariota
- Tarik El-Bashir previews the Redskins' meeting with QB Marcus Mariota
- Redskins plan to host QB prospect Marcus Mariota
- Gruden's goal: Get Garçon more touches in '15
- Redskins' Gruden more confident in his approach in 2015
- How will roster continue to change under McCloughan?
- Jay Gruden has high hopes for Trent Murphy
- Redskins' McCloughan promises competition for jobs but will it happen?
- OPEN THREAD: Time to change Dan Snyder's big-spending reputation?
- Gruden discusses Santana Moss' future with the Redskins