Aug 11, 2014, 5:02 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 11, seven days before the Redskins host the Browns on preseason Monday night football.
— Jay Gruden named Adam Hayward special teams captain for the Patriots game. The coach was asked why he did this. “Well, when you have a special teams coach like Coach [Ben] Kotwica and we are trying to preach the importance of special teams, it’s very important to have players that buy in,” he said. “Nobody buys in more than Adam. He is a great leader. He makes everybody accountable on the unit. It’s one thing having coaches yell at you all the time but it’s another to have players hold players accountable. That’s what he does and that’s what he is great at.”
—Lache Seastrunk made a nice outside run during practice but he was in obvious pain after the run. He walked gingerly back to the huddle. After practice he revealed that he had hurt his arch but he wasn’t about to let it put him on the sideline. The rookie didn’t appear to miss a rep. “I’ve just got to tough it out,” he said. “It’s not killing me. I’m running, I’m still going to do what I’ve got to do. I’ve got to show them I’m tough.”
—Bashaud Breeland is flashing some ability to make plays in practice but he’s also showing a lot of what the officials have been throwing flags for. Some would say he’s physical in coverage, other would say he’s dirty. He says he has to play his style. “I just play,” he said. “If you worry about the rules you get beat. I just play. If they call the PI, they call the PI. You go an play another play.”
—The Redskins have two players with injury histories who are watching from the sideline. One is running back Chris Thompson, who is very much on the bubble. Pay particular attention to the last sentence quoted. ““It’s disappointing,” he said. “It’s unfortunate for him because he was progressing very well and he needs the reps to do what we’re going to ask him to do on game day. And if he’s not available to get these reps, it’s going to hurt his progress. Injuries happen, unfortunately to him it seems like more often than not.”
—The other is Phillip Thomas. He’s probably not in danger of getting cut but if his hamstring doesn’t heal soon his ability to make an impact this year will be diminished. Hamstrings are tricky injuries and Gruden talked about the danger of reinjuring the muscle. :It’s a slippery slope, you know? You push them out there, you get out there too quick, you re-injure the hamstring and now you’re in the same boat or worse,” he said. “So it’s important for Phillip to get this thing 100 percent healthy and he’s got to show us what he can do.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; Jay Gruden media availability 3:45; Walkthrough 4:10; players availability after both practices.
—It’s been 225 days since the Redskins played a game; in 27 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins at Ravens 12; Final cuts 19; Home opener vs. Jaguars 34
For players on the bubble, every moment counts
In case you missed it
- Injury report: Gruden says Hall ‘could have walked off’
- Redskins’ RG3 happy to ‘dink and dunk’
- Redskins Sunday practice report: A good day for the defense
- Redskins preseason Week 1 53-man roster projection: Offense
- Redskins’ Hatcher will return to full action ‘slowly but surely’
- Notes from Redskins camp –Gruden is looking for a physical mindset
Follow Us On Twitter
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?