Aug 10, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
RICHMOND—The good weather continued to hold out here as the Redskins continued to wind down their 2014 training camp. There was plenty of sunshine and temperatures in the 70’s. Here are my observations.
—Tight ends coach Wes Phillips had a small corps of players to work with. Jordan Reed is still out, apparently still suffering from the virus that kept him out on Saturday.
—Brian Baker isn’t just the outside linebackers coach; he focuses on pass rush and takeaways. Here he is working with the inside linebackers.
—With DeSean Jackson still out, Aldrick Robinson is getting a lot of time with the first team. It’s an opportunity he needs to take advantage of and so far, so good for him.
—The play of the day came on defense. Robert Griffin III rolled to his right and launched a deep pass to Robinson. Bashaud Breeland came flying over from the other side of the field and picked off the pass. It wasn’t a particularly good throw by Griffin but it took a great play by Breeland to pick it off.
—Lache Seastrunk, taking advantage of Chris Thompson and Silas Redd both being sidelined, made a nice run out of bounds but he was in apparent pain and the end of the run. He stood doubled over for a moment and then limped back to the huddle. He didn’t seem to miss any reps, however, even though he was walking gingerly back to the huddle after each play. (Update: He told us after practice he had a strained arch in his foot.)
—Cousins isn’t as consistent as you’d like him to be but he can fire the ball in there at times. He threw an absolute laser right on the money to Rashad Lawrence deep over the middle.
—Another candidate for play of the day came from Tracy Porter. He had good coverage on a deep pass from Griffin to Robinson and made a nice interception.
—During a two-minute drill, Cousins missed Nick Williams in the end zone from about the five yard line on the “last” play. But Jay Gruden came in yelling that Williams had been held. So they marched off half the distance and Cousins hit Niles Paul just over the goal line. It was a questionable penalty call but nobody was going to argue with the head coach.
—There was one other interception on the day. Chase Minnifield made a diving grab of a Colt McCoy pass.
—Seastrunk is starting to learn how to catch the ball after having zero receptions at Baylor last year. He made a good over the shoulder grab and later on he made one near the goal line and lunged in for the score.
—We’ve seen some nice catches from Pierre Garçon. They don’t happen by chance.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley