Aug 9, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
RICHMOND—The Redskins got back to work following an off day after their preseason game against the Patriots. Here are my observations from a fairly light session at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center.
—Temperatures were in the 70’s and the skies partly cloudy, continuing a remarkable string of good weather in Richmond this year.
—The linemen are wearing shells, the rest are wearing no pads.
—There will still be a lot of zone blocking in Jay Gruden’s offense. Here’s a look at the O-line going through some of the fundamentals.
—The punters didn’t advance much in their competition against the Patriots as Robert Malone had the only punt of the night. Blake Clingan should get his shot next week against the Browns. He got this one off today that wasn’t exactly a boomer but was fairly effective.
—Nick Williams had a chance to make a nice play when Kirk Cousins hit him with a pass over the middle. But Williams dropped it. He can’t do that if he expects to make the team.
—I can’t tell you much about the running game. With the players wearing either shells or nothing, there isn’t anything that remotely resembles tackling going on. Without that you don’t really know how the run game is working.
—Aldrick Robinson was mostly invisible during the first week and a half of camp. Then he started to make some plays and he continued to do it in the New England game. Today he got a step on DeAngelo Hall doing down the right sideline. Robert Griffin III hit him with a perfect strike for the play of the day.
—With Jordan Reed out with a stomach bug Niles Paul got a lot of looks. Griffin hit him with a strike on a deep sideline pattern during seven on seven drills.
—Jason Hatcher is off of PUP but his participation is extremely limited.
Hatcher being eased back in. No team drills. #RedskinsTalk
— Tarik El-Bashir (@TarikCSN) August 9, 2014
—Newly signed safety Da-Mon Cromartie-Smith lined up some at free safety, just getting his feet wet. He’ll be very busy over the next few days learning the defense.
—The kickoff return job is no less wide open than it was during OTAs. Lining up in the end zone during special teams drills to return were Paul, Andre Roberts, Richard Crawford, and Rashad Ross.
—Pierre Garçon is back on the field after missing most of last week and the preseason game. He and Griffin hooked up a few times.
—The play of the day for the defense came when Griffin overthrew Logan Paulsen, who was able to get a hand on it. The tip gave Hall a chance to snag the ball out of the air for an interception.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class
- Redskins rookie WR Josh Doctson held out of OTAs
- Gruden on DeSean Jackson missing OTAs: He will probably show up