Aug 6, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 6, one day before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
—Brady and Belichick have been together for 15 years. Gruden and Griffin have known each other for about six months. The Redskins’ coach dreams of getting to where Belichick is. “It takes a lot of time,” he said. “It takes a lot of trust, a lot of wins, a lot of ups and downs that you fight through together. You work out together, off the field, on the field. Like you said, 15 years, I think it is now? That’s something that you only hope to have, you only dream of having as a head coach.”
—What is secondary coach Raheem Morris looking for during the joint practices and in Thursday’s preseason opener against New England? “Really, I’m just looking for these guys to be physical,” he said. “We’ve done all of the running around in shorts you can do, stuff you can do in underwear. And now it’s time to put your pads on and go out and hit some people. I want to see these guys have contact and go out and play football the way it’s supposed to be played.”
—Morris is happy to get his guys a chance to get his guys to play against one of the best in the business. “Tom is arguably one of the best if not the best guy in the league,” he said. “Any time you get a chance to go against a guy like Tom who’s going to be accurate, going to be pinpoint, going to know exactly what he wants to do. That’s always helpful, that’s always nice to see. We practice against a pretty good one ourselves but when you get a chance to go against one of the best it’s always great for your guys, it’s always a great measuring stick.”
—Tom Brady doesn’t envy the environment that Griffin has to operate in. It was a different world when Brady came into the league in 2000 and as a sixth-round pick he was not under the spotlight that shines on Griffin, the No. 2 overall pick in 2012. “The news cycle is different now and there is so much pressure for the young guys,” Brady said. “The spotlight is so bright, and these younger players have an opportunity to develop and there are less practices now and less time they can spend at the facility, so there are different challenges that they’re facing.”
—Bill Belichick said that one of the most important things he got out of joint practices is the ability to work in special situations. During the preseason the first team might get into only a few red zone situations or a handful or third and short. In this setup, Belichick and Gruden can work on them as much as they want to. “Absolutely awesome, it really is,” said Gruden. “You can’t underestimate the reps that we got today and yesterday — situational. Third down and short, third down and medium, third down and long, red zone opportunities, we had some ‘move the ball’ opportunities, we had two-minute today three or four times, we had to use a timeout, all that stuff, man. That’s something that’s not only good for our players but good for us to watch the situations and make good decisions with the clock – spiking it, when to call timeout, are we in field goal range?”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Joint practice with Patriots 8:35; Jay Gruden media availability after practice; Player availability coming off the field; Bill Belichick availability TBD
—It’s been 220 days since the Redskins played a game; in 32 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Bills 12; Final cuts 25; Home opener vs. Jaguars 39
In case you missed it
- Practice report: Ryan Grant playing like a veteran
- Gruden and RG3 talk decision making, when to throw ball away
- Injury update: Garçon skips practice, Ryan Clark leaves early
- Bacarri Rambo must shed his tackling “demons”
- Santana Moss on RG3: ‘Nothing but room to get better ‘
- Wendy’s Q&A: How many running backs for the Redskins?
- First Redskins depth chart of 2014 released
- Chess match with Brady a learning experience for Robinson
- 2014 Fantasy Football Rankings: The top 150
- Redskins camp notes and quotes: Robinson misses out on Gronk
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class
- Redskins rookie WR Josh Doctson held out of OTAs
- Gruden on DeSean Jackson missing OTAs: He will probably show up
- Need to Know: Should the Redskins pass more on first down in 2016?
- Which Redskins are on the roster bubble?
- Redskins guard Spencer Long has been getting some work at center, too
- OTAs to-do list: How much work remains at safety?