Aug 5, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
RICHMOND—The Redskins took the field against the Patriots for a second straight day in borderline steamy conditions. A crowd of 21,665, the biggest of training camp so far, was on hand. Here are my observations.
—I’m not so sure that there is going to be an actual punting competition. Robert Malone is pretty consistent with booing kicks and good hang time while Blake Clingon is more down than up.
—If you’ve done your 53-man roster projection and rookie wide receiver Ryan Gran isn’t on it, tear it up and start again. You’re doing it wrong. In one on one work against Patriots cornerback Justin Green from about the 10 yard line, Grant went down and in and Green had him covered. But Grant curled back around and broke wide open. Many receivers who have been around for years can’t execute that route. (Update: Our CSN cameras did catch that move on film, take a look here.)
—I didn’t get Grant’s move on my camera but here are some other reps from the same drill. On the last rep shown, DeSean Jackson does make the TD catch over the middle.
—Here’s a look at the running backs doing the same drill, being guarded by Pats linebackers.
—In 11 on 11, Santana Moss bobbled a bubble screen and massive nose tackle Vince Wilfork snagged it out of the air for the interception.
—It was a good day for Wilfork. Yesterday, center Kory Lichtensteiger held his own against him in one on one blocking. Today it was a different story as Wilfork used his hands to control the smaller Lichtensteiger and dismiss him.
—Back to 11 on 11, Robert Griffin III threw a dart over the middle to DeSean Jackson, hitting him on the run about 12 yards deep. I think we’ll see a lot more of that type of pass than we will see of long bombs. They’ll try to hit Jackson in stride so he can pick up yards after the catch.
—Here’s a little post-practice warm-down work by Griffin and the other backs.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins rookie a 'long shot' to play against Cowboys
- Gruden, Redskins hope to hit offseason on a high note
- Gruden happy with play of young defenders
- Gruden names RG3 starter next week, praises improvement
- Defense against Eagles doesn't help Haslett's case
- Mike Shanahan on RG3: He can still be a franchise QB
- A fairly calm offseason appears to be on tap at Redskins Park
- Redskins spoil Eagles' season but still have a long way to go
- Week 16 rankings: Injuries messing with fantasy Super Bowls
- DeSean Jackson criticizes 'naïve' Eagles defense