Aug 5, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
RICHMOND—The Redskins took the field against the Patriots for a second straight day in borderline steamy conditions. A crowd of 21,665, the biggest of training camp so far, was on hand. Here are my observations.
—I’m not so sure that there is going to be an actual punting competition. Robert Malone is pretty consistent with booing kicks and good hang time while Blake Clingon is more down than up.
—If you’ve done your 53-man roster projection and rookie wide receiver Ryan Gran isn’t on it, tear it up and start again. You’re doing it wrong. In one on one work against Patriots cornerback Justin Green from about the 10 yard line, Grant went down and in and Green had him covered. But Grant curled back around and broke wide open. Many receivers who have been around for years can’t execute that route. (Update: Our CSN cameras did catch that move on film, take a look here.)
—I didn’t get Grant’s move on my camera but here are some other reps from the same drill. On the last rep shown, DeSean Jackson does make the TD catch over the middle.
—Here’s a look at the running backs doing the same drill, being guarded by Pats linebackers.
—In 11 on 11, Santana Moss bobbled a bubble screen and massive nose tackle Vince Wilfork snagged it out of the air for the interception.
—It was a good day for Wilfork. Yesterday, center Kory Lichtensteiger held his own against him in one on one blocking. Today it was a different story as Wilfork used his hands to control the smaller Lichtensteiger and dismiss him.
—Back to 11 on 11, Robert Griffin III threw a dart over the middle to DeSean Jackson, hitting him on the run about 12 yards deep. I think we’ll see a lot more of that type of pass than we will see of long bombs. They’ll try to hit Jackson in stride so he can pick up yards after the catch.
—Here’s a little post-practice warm-down work by Griffin and the other backs.
Follow Us On Twitter
- What's the key for McCoy in Indianapolis?
- David Amerson apologetic about absence
- Trent Williams, 6 others, questionable for Sunday
- Gruden: QB decision based on who's best right now
- Will Griffin get another shot with the Redskins?
- Can the Redskins defense follow up on strong game vs. 49ers?
- Redskins will stay in house to fill needs at cornerback
- Trent Williams 'optimistic' about playing in Indy
- RG3 opens up on being benched: 'It was Coach's decision'
- Despite No. 3 status, Cousins remains confident