Aug 3, 2014, 4:44 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 3, four days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News, notes, and quotes from Day 9 of Redskins training camp.
—Sacks tend to get blamed on the O-line but a back who misses a blitz pickup can be responsible for the QB going down just as well. Jay Gruden was asked to evaluate how his backs have been doing in pass protection. “In the team period, it has not been bad actually,” he said. “[Running Backs Coach] Randy Jordan has done a good job with them and the one-on-ones, it’s always tough. You guys look at the one-on-ones and you see they got a chance to go inside, gap outside, gap in. In team periods, they don’t have much space to work. But I think we’re just working with technique on them and they’re going to get better. It takes time and it takes work.
—Kory Lichtensteiger will be the starting center against the Texans on Sept. 7. After 51 NFL starts at guard it will be his first regular season NFL start at center. He has made a few snaps in regular season action. “I have played it,” he said. “Cleveland, two years ago, I finished the game at center. I’ve never started one before.” He did say that he has worked as a backup center the whole time he has been with the Redskins so the position is completely foreign to him.
—We think we know who the starters will be and chances are that we’re right. But reserves aren’t necessarily willing to concede those jobs to veterans. Here’s what Phillip Thomas said about being behind veterans Ryan Clark and Brandon Meriweather. “I’m trying to take their spot, there’s not question about it,” he said. “Anything I can do to make it interesting or make the coaches maybe feel I should be in.”
—Brian Orakpo was asked what the ceiling is for this defense. He gave the answer you would expect but he tempered it by saying that they have a lot to do. “It’s very high,” he said. “But we’ve got to keep working. Everybody feels great right now all around the country with different camps, everybody feels like they’re going to be the best. We do, too. We want to strive to be the best but it’s going to take a lot of work out here in Richmond to get to that point.”
—Back to what Thomas said, it seems that competition for jobs on this team is very real. Nobody is being “benched” by not being given any reps. Gruden strongly believes in giving everyone a chance. “You know what, we bring in these guys for a reason,” he said. “They’re here to get a chance, a legitimate opportunity. You don’t get a legitimate opportunity if you don’t get asked to play or get reps. We’re trying to get everybody ample chance, and some guys will play themselves out of a position quickly.”
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Players off, no practice
—It’s been 217 days since the Redskins played a game; in 35 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 4; Final cuts 27; Redskins @ Eagles 49
In case you missed it
- Practice report: Appreciating the fans
- DeSean Jackson sits out Saturday’s Redskins practice
- Jarvis Jenkins rising to the challenge
- Redskins’ A. Robinson has a big day, aims to do it again
- Gruden: Redskins’ starters will play 1-2 series on Thursday vs. Patriots
- Redskins camp news and notes, Day 8: Practicing in the elements
Follow Us On Twitter
- Depth and role players the focus for the Redskins on draft Saturday
- Redskins intend to be cautious with Kendall Fuller
- Gruden expects the Redskins to address defensive line on Saturday
- McCloughan bulks up secondary by drafting Fuller
- Redskins draft Virginia Tech's Kendall Fuller in the third round
- Where will Cravens play for the Redskins?
- Breaking down the Redskins' Su'a Cravens pick
- Redskins take linebacker-safety hybrid Su'a Cravens
- Cowboys roll the dice, select linebacker Jaylon Smith in 2nd round
- New Redskins WR Doctson provides update on his surgically repaired wrist