Aug 2, 2014, 5:07 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 2, five days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News, notes, and quotes from Day 8 of Redskins training camp.
—Sometimes some of us in the media make too big a deal out of a little bit of rain. As Darrel Young said, they have to play in it so they can’t give a second through to practicing in it. “Practice was good, just another day of training camp,” he said. “I actually forgot it was raining until the end when I took my helmet off. You don’t worry about the elements, you just go out there and play. You’ve got to play football in any environment.”
—Robert Griffin III won’t directly compare this year to last but you don’t have to do too much reading between the lines to see that he’s delighted with the change. “I can’t compare it to last year but this year it’s been great,” he said. “We have a new regime, we have new excitement, we have a new direction and that directions starts and ends with Jay. He’s done a great job with that and we’re following him in that regard. You guys can see practice is a little bit different, everyone’s demeanor is a little different. Everyone is excited but we’re all preparing every night.” Honestly, I think that they were preparing every night last year, too. But if it works for Robert, that’s fine with me.
—Before camp started, Gruden indicated that how physical a given camp session might be would be determined on a daily basis. He had plans but he reserved the right to call an audible. On Friday he did just that, switching plans to go with full pads to shells. “We’re going to go full gear tomorrow [Saturday],” he said. “Like I said yesterday, my whole goal is to get everybody 100 percent for Monday so we can all be competing against New England. We had a couple bruises here and there, a couple little hamstring strains, kicked in the shin, all that stuff. So I wanted to just taper off a little bit today and then come tomorrow we’ll be in full gear for the fan day, give them a day off and then they’ll be ready to go for Monday.”
—Keenan Robinson is taking over for London Fletcher at Mike linebacker. Let that sink in. But he believes he’s ready and he doesn’t think that his predecessor will be in his head. “I don’t know if you’re ever truly ready but it’s something that I’ll embrace as the season and as preseason camp progresses,” he said. “It’s something that I am definitely embracing because it’s my duty. When everybody says ‘middle linebacker,’ I think of leading the team, vocal leader, physical leader and on-the-field leader. It’s something that I have to do and make sure that I’m fulfilling those roles as a middle linebacker.”
—Robinson hasn’t played since Thanksgiving Day, 2012. He tore one pectoral muscle that day and then tore the other very early in camp a year ago. He’s not worried about reinjury but he is realistic enough to know that injuries can happen at any time. “I mean, once you rehab and heal them up to how he healed them up – I did a very good job on the first side and I tore the other side,” he said. “It would be different if I tore this side twice. He said it shouldn’t happen again, but injuries happen and football is a very physical game and hopefully I don’t have an issue with either one of them ever again.” Prediction: If Robinson plays reasonably well he will quickly become a fan favorite. Good guy, very sharp and he has the potential to be a playmaker.
If you have any questions about what’s going on at training camp, hit me up in the comments. I promise I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them! And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
—Today’s schedule: Fan appreciation day; Practice 10:35; Jay Gruden and players media availability after practice.
—It’s been 216 days since the Redskins played a game; in 36 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 5; Final cuts 28; Redskins @ Eagles 50
Griffin on having refs at practice
In case you missed it
- Haz to Ref: ‘Tell him to worry about his job’
- Redskins practice report, Day 8: Two-minue drills
- Rice Jr. suffers torn labrum
- Redskins’ Williams misses practice, Garçon returns
- Robert Griffin III hopes to pick Tom Brady’s brain
- ICYMI: Training Camp Edition
- Virginia Gov. pays visit to Redskins training camp
- RG3: Redskins are ‘definitely built for speed’
- Redskins camp news and notes, Day 7–Continuity in the running game
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park