Aug 1, 2014, 5:01 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 1, six days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News, notes, and quotes from Day 7 of Redskins training camp.
—Yesterday we touched on Alfred Morris possibly catching some more passes. But catching more passes means being in the game more on passing downs and that means being solid in pass protection. Morris talked about some of the challenges he faced when he came into league. “It’s very tough,” he said. “I think that’s one the main reasons why running backs – you might have a big name running back in college that doesn’t make it in the pros, it’s because he can’t pass pro and he can’t read the blitzes. He can’t tell what’s going. And if you can’t protect the quarterback, which is the franchise, then you won’t be on the field. For me in college, I only had to worry about one side of the field when it came to blitz pickups, but here you have to do a full-field scan, and it can be very difficult.”
—It appears that the Redskins running game will be very similar—perhaps identical—to what we’ve seen the past couple of years with a few power runs sprinkled in. Trent Williams likes the continuity. “I think that just goes to show you how football savvy [Jay Gruden] is,” he said. “All coaches preach to guys that you’ve got to be unselfish and do what’s good for the team, and I think that is the biggest example right there. It’s just showing that he can come in and adapt and play to our strengths, even though he is a new head coach.” Contrast that to the square peg in round hole approach we’ve seen from new coaches both here and elsewhere.
—I have a post coming soon based on a talk with Keenan Robinson, the man trying to replace London Fletcher. One thing that impressed Brian Orakpo was how hard Robinson worked to keep up to speed during the nearly year and a half that he missed with injuries. “He hasn’t missed a beat,” said Orakpo. “Even though he hasn’t been on the field with us, he’s been to meetings, he’s been throughout the practices watching and rehabbing, trying to get better. But also he’s been in that playbook, it’s a great thing that he can come in here without any hiccups.”
—Nobody thought that Jerry Rice Jr. had much of a chance to make the Redskins roster but his chances probably got even worse on Thursday when he went out with an injury. “Hurt his shoulder,” said Gruden. “He had a test done today. I’ll know more once I get the results back, but it’s pretty significant, I believe.” That doesn’t sound good for the son of the best receiver in NFL history.
—Gruden has a phrase he likes to use. “I said it yesterday, I’ll say it over and over again, every play is its own entity,” he said. “Sometimes, ‘Heck, should’ve taken off and run here. Heck, if you would have stepped up and slid over a little bit, Santana [Moss] is wide open.’ You know what I mean? It’s just a matter of seeing all these plays develop and then when you give them the ball on game day, letting him be himself and play. We just continue to coach them and work with them, work with his vision, what his progression is, who is he reading, two hands on the ball, ball security. All that stuff comes with the position.” In short, every play is different and even if the same set of circumstances are present the play may unfold differently due to very subtle differences.
—Redskins cornerback Richard Crawford was born on this date in 1990.
—Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; Jay Gruden media availability 3:45; Walkthrough 4:10; players availability after both practices.
—It’s been 215 days since the Redskins played a game; in 37 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 6; Final cuts 29; Redskins @ Eagles 51
In case you missed it
- Gruden: ‘The guys were a little sore’
- Redskins practice report, Day 7: Focus on details
- NFL adopts zero tolerance for verbal abuse
- Jay Gruden says kicking competition is an ongoing process
- Redskins’ final roster selection an ongoing process
- Morris hopes Jackson’s speed helps Redskins’ run game, too
- Griffin not worried about keeping pass catchers happy
- Lauvao finally finding fit on Redskins’ O-Line
- Redskins camp news and notes Day 6–More receptions for Morris?
Follow Us On Twitter
- LIVE Redskins practice report--Day 3
- Redskins name Bobby Beathard to Ring of Fame
- Doctson reacts to hearing his injury was reason Scot McCloughan punched a wall
- DeAngelo Hall working through transition to safety, will 'pick it up quickly'
- Play of the day: Cravens showing why the Redskins drafted him
- Need to Know: Redskins will put on the pads today
- When it comes to Madden corners, there's Josh Norman, then everyone else
- Redskins activate Perry Riley from PUP list, LB set for practice
- Josh Norman using his physicality to help cure Matt Jones of 'fumble-itis'
- Live Redskins practice report--Day 2