Jul 29, 2014, 5:14 AM EST
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 29, nine days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News, notes, and quotes from Day 5 of Redskins training camp.
—I get asked on a regular basis how Morgan Moses is doing and if they intend to keep him on the left side. Here is your answer from the coach. “He’s doing good. He’s playing a lot of left tackle right now,” said Jay Gruden. “We’ll start to switch him over to the right side here shortly. You know, we’re just trying to get him a good feel for the offense and his position strength right now as left tackle, because that’s what he’s played the last two years at Virginia. Next week, we’ll start him on the right side and see how he does and go from there, but I like the way he’s developing.” After a rough day of one-on-one blocking on Sunday he was much better yesterday.
—If you missed yesterday’s practice you might have to wait until next year to see another one like it. “We might see them in full pads again, but I doubt we’ll do any live drills,” said Gruden. “I don’t mind going full pads, getting used to the full pads, but as far as going live and bringing people to the ground with the physical mentality, we probably won’t do that very often.”
—The Redskins signed former Cowboys Everette Brown before yesterday’s practice. “He’s going to be another pass rusher on the edge and play outside backer,” said Gruden. “He’s played 4-3 defensive end and he’s played a little outside backer so we’re going to give him a look at outside backer and see how he does.” He takes the roster spot vacated by the departure of Brandon Jenkins.
—Pierre Garçon had a slight hamstring injury and sat out the latter stages of practice. Gruden called it “a little soreness”. Garçon could be back after Tuesday’s off day but he wouldn’t commit to any specific timetable for a return. “I’ll be good,” he said. “No need to really rush it, or trying put everything to the wall right now. It is the first week of training camp.”
—Bruce Allen is usually very good at not saying anything or at least not saying the wrong thing. But on ESPN 950 in Richmond on Monday, he was asked about the Week 1 return of Robert Griffin III last year. “What you saw last year was almost a little disrespectful to the game of football,” said Allen. “It’s impossible to ask a player to perform well during the regular season if you haven’t practiced.” I have no idea why he would stir up that hornet’s nest just when the focus is turning to 2014.
—Redskins long snapper Nick Sundberg was born on this date in 1987.
—Today’s schedule: Off day for players
—It’s been 212 days since the Redskins played a game; in 40 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 9; Final cuts 32; Redskins @ Eagles 54
In case you missed it
- Gruden: ‘You’ve got to like the intensity’
- Redskins training camp report, day 5: Things get chippy
- Redskins’ rookie Trent Murphy arrives early, stays late
- 20 fantasy football sleepers for the 2014-2015 season
- Bruce Allen calls playing RG3 early in 2013 “disrespectful”
- Pierre Garçon injured during Redskins training camp
- Redskins sign OLB Everette Brown
- Redskins training camp report, Day 4–Gruden praises Cody Hoffman
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden discusses Amerson's status for Indy
- 'High hopes' for a Trent Williams return vs. Colts
- Gruden: RG3 remains starter, for now
- Jay Gruden addresses status of Redskins' starting QB
- Redskins defense solid vs. 49ers but fades in the clutch
- Waiver wire: No-name RBs offer Week 13 help and beyond
- Gruden and Belichick handle supensions differently
- OPEN THREAD: Just how good of a performance from Redskins defense?
- Greatest catch of all time? Not if you ask Beckham
- Plenty of blame to go around on 49ers' sacks vs. Redskins