Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, July 28, 10 days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
Some news, notes, and quotes from Day 4 of Redskins training camp.
—Former Steeler Ryan Clark reminded us that he played on a pretty good defense for a Super Bowl winning team not too long ago. “We were watching TV the other day and they had Seattle’s stats from last year and I referenced the defense that won the 2008-2009 Super Bowl that was much better than they were – we just didn’t talk as much – and so I just reference that in a joking way. But seriously, like just explaining to them Seattle is good because they have good players, but if you put their film on, they run to the ball. They tackle well, and those are all the things that make you good. When we were good back in the day, we had one star – the guy with the hair. Everybody else just played hard and they made themselves good.” The “guy with the hair” is All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu
—Mo Hurt survives, at least for now. He was activated from the non-football injury list on Sunday afternoon. Hurt was on the list because he failed the conditioning test on Wednesday. Jay Gruden initially told us it was because he was not in shape but he retracted that on Sunday. “Well, it wasn’t so much that he was out of shape,” he said. “After further review he lost some weight in the offseason and we came back for the conditioning test and something wasn’t right. We wanted to make sure he was healthy enough to resume practice. He did not finish his conditioning test, but I don’t think it was because he was out of shape because his weight was down.” Hurt still has an uphill battle to get a roster spot.
—At least for now, you can cross the cornerback spot opposite DeAngelo Hall off of your list of concerns. David Amerson has taken ownership of the spot and it doesn’t look like he’s going to give it up. “I’ve definitely [seen a difference] with Amerson,” Gruden said. “Amerson is playing with a lot of confidence, a lot of swag about him and that’s very important. You’ve got have confidence and a little bit of swagger about you.” Of course we won’t know much more until preseason games start and we won’t really know until the regular-season games start. But so far, so good with Amerson.
—I get more questions about undrafted free agent wide receiver Cody Hoffman than I do about most rookies. He caught a couple of long passes during practice on Sunday and in the afternoon Gruden was asked if he valued the height that Hoffman (listed at 6-4) offers. “He’s made some big plays,” said Gruden. “There’s some things he’s got to work on and fight through from discipline as far as routes go, but he is a big target. That’s something if you look at our receiving corps we may be lacking so to speak.”
—If you had plans to go to the walkthrough scheduled for 4:10 tomorrow, change them. The session has been cancelled. Gruden explained why. “Tomorrow will be our third day in a row in pads,” he said. “We’re going to go full pads tomorrow with the pants included. We might do some live drills tomorrow and we are going to cancel the meeting and go through our meetings. Instead of having a walkthrough we will have a dinner and I will probably give them off that night just to get away from everybody.” The 8:35 practice will be held as scheduled. If you can skip out of work on a Monday, I’d recommend that you go to this one. There will be live drills.
—Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; player availability after practice; Jay Gruden media availability after practice approx. 11:30;
—It’s been 211 days since the Redskins played a game; in 41 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 10; Final cuts 33; Redskins @ Eagles 55
In case you missed it
- Gruden: ‘We might do some live drills’
- Brandon Jenkins missed his opportunity with the Redskins
- Redskins training camp report, Day 4: Tough day for Morgan Moses
- Redskins’ Hurt passes physical, rejoins team
- Redskins waive 2013 fifth-round pick
- Redskins expect big things from David Amerson in 2014
- Redskins’ Cofield will have Hatcher’s back
- Redskins’ Gruden has no plans to micromanage
- Redskins camp, Day 3 notes–Jay Gruden hates ‘buddy football’
Follow Us On Twitter
- Reiter has aspirations of making 53-man roster
- Patriots release statement regarding NFL's decision
- Darrell Green is the winner of the Redskins' 'Best of the Best' bracket
- Kam Chancellor pays tribute to Sean Taylor -- again
- NFL explains decision to uphold Tom Brady suspension
- OPEN THREAD: Who will 'Skins miss most - Helu, Chester or Polumbus?
- Darrell Green, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. bond over 'Best of the Best'
- Redskins training camp preview: Offense
- Cardinals become first NFL team to have a female coach
- Ryan Kerrigan's driver's license picture is simply spectacular