Jul 27, 2014, 4:54 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 27, 11 days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News and notes from the third day of training camp for the 2014 Redskins, which played out under partly cloudy skies and fairly mild late-July temperatures.
—Training camps under Mike Shanahan were not exactly Camp Cupcake but there weren’t many comments or complaints that camp was too physical either. If Gruden’s comments on Saturday are any indication, the contact will pick up for the Redskins compared to the last four years. “I just like the competition,” he said. “I think it’s very important for the defense to give the offense the best look possible and vice versa. We can’t do that if we are just muddling around playing buddy football.” You have to respect a coach who hates “buddy football”.
—But this doesn’t mean that they will pound each other every day. Gruden will take it day by day. ““I think it’s dependent on how we are doing as far as health-wise, how much we feel like we are getting in,” he said. “I think right now we are to a point where we are going to do pads today, pads tomorrow and then pads on Monday. And then we will take a day off (the scheduled off day on Tuesday) and then we will see where we stand.”
—We’re only three days in but so far training camp has been distraction free. Last year by this time we had the coach and quarterback exchanging passive-aggressive comments, a season-ending injury to Keenan Robinson and a four-game PED suspension for Jarvis Jenkins. Barry Cofield appreciates the difference. “Yeah, it’s definitely about football right now,” he said. “It’s definitely about football and that’s it. We’re not in the headlines. I don’t see us on the SportsCenter ticker at the bottom every day. It’s a good feeling to just be focused on football, focused on getting better and only fielding questions about players and their activities on the field.”
—I talked to Richard Crawford on Saturday. It surprised me that he took the field 11 months after a pretty serious knee injury without a brace or sleeve. He’s looking forward to competing for a role. “Competition is always going to be there,” he said. “It’s the NFL, you’re going to see the best of the best at all times. I’m kind of happy they did bring them in because you learn a lot from those guys and I’m becoming a better player myself. I’m just trying to be the best I can be and help this team win.”
—Since it’s becoming popular to declare yourself to be the best in the business, Cofield was asked if he thought he was one of the best nose tackles in the game. He wanted no part of that discussion. “I’m not interested in ranking myself. I just want to help the team win and I want to be the starting nose tackle for the Super Bowl champions,” he said. “That’s my main goal. I come to work every day and work hard. I love that my coaches support me. I’d be happy if Perry Riley and Keenan Robinson went to the Pro Bowl instead of myself and they just buy my something – just a gift to give me a little recognition.”
—Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; Jay Gruden media availability 3:45; Walkthrough 4:10; players availability after both practices.
—It’s been 210 days since the Redskins played a game; in 42 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 11; Final cuts 34; Redskins @ Eagles 56
In case you missed it
- Gruden: ‘It’s going to be physical’
- Redskins’ Crawford is healthy and happy to compete for a job
- Redskins training camp report, Day 3: First day in pads
- Jay Gruden believes David Amerson can be a top corner
- Redskins’ RB Morris: ‘The more I do the better I get’
- Redskins’ Cofield ‘100-percent’ after hernia surgery
- Redskins CB Tracy Porter returns from shoulder surgery
- Redskins’ Gruden says Young ‘will be a major part of this offense’
- Redskins’ Bowen hopes to be medically cleared during camp
- Redskins camp, Day 2 notes–Moss survives the mental grind
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class