Jul 26, 2014, 5:02 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 26, 12 days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
News and notes from the second day of training camp for the 2014 Redskins, which played out under cloudless skies and mile late-July temperatures.
—DeAngelo Hall had no problem counting himself as one of the best cornerbacks in the game. Trent Williams think he has some work to do if he wants to be called one of the best left tackles in the game. “I’m too hard on myself to say that I’m the best right now,” he said. “There’s some outstanding tackles in this league and I plan on being mentioned as one of them for a long time to come. But I have a long road ahead of me.”
—We don’t have a timetable for the return of Leonard Hankerson. He suffered a torn ACL and LCL in his left knee about eight months ago, during the Redskins’ loss to the Eagles. He is on the PUP list, not a good place to be when you got knocked at least two spots down the depth chart after the team acquired both DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts. He’s prepared to compete when the can take the field. “I’ve been battling all my life,” he said. “That’s how it is in the NFL. One day you can be the starter, the next day you got to go out and prove something.”
—DeSean Jackson seems to be relaxing and settling in. He had a pretty good presser on Friday, giving several expansive and insightful answers. I’ll have more coming from that over the next day or so but here’s what he said when asked if he wanted to show the Eagles that they made a bad football decision when they released him. “You know, my focus is more on my new team, my teammates and doing things that I need to do here to help my team win,” he said. “As far as what the Philadelphia Eagles are doing, that’s in the past and that’s on them. So I don’t get caught up in really worrying about what they have going on out there.”
—Santana Moss has survived in the NFL for 13 years in large part because of his physical talent. But you don’t last that long without knowing how to deal the all of the various mind games that are a part of life in the NFL. “The mental aspect wears on a lot of people,” he said. “At the end of the day, the guys who are here know how to handle it. If feel like this game can be 50-50—50 percent mental and the rest on your ability. If you let the mental part mess with you then it’s going to stop what you do physically.”
—If there was any doubt that Alfred Morris would get the bulk of the carries for the Redskins, Jay Gruden killed it on Friday. “Alfred has proven that he can handle the workload and he’s our guy right now,” said Gruden. “Obviously, different situations are going to call for a different type of back, so I imagine we’re going to play two, maybe three backs throughout the season.”
—Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; Jay Gruden media availability 3:45; Walkthrough 4:10; players availability after both practices.
—It’s been 209 days since the Redskins played a game; in 43 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 12; Final cuts 35; Redskins @ Eagles 57
Gruden energizes Trent Williams
In case you missed it
- Gruden challenges his team
- Redskins training camp report, Day 2: Speed back battle heats up
- Jon Gruden: RG3’s development may take ‘a couple of years’
- Now healthy, Redskins’ RB Thompson in hurry to prove himself
- Report: Mike Shanahan open to coaching again in NFL
- Redskins’ Williams learned workout regimen from Adrian Peterson
- Redskins’ Hankerson sidelined as training camp battle heats up
- News and notes from Day 1 of Redskins training camp
Follow Us On Twitter
- OPEN THREAD: Who lines up at tight end for Redskins?
- Fantasy Fix: Alfred Morris' fade pattern in Week 5 rankings
- Redskins show support of Breast Cancer Awareness
- Injury report: Status of Williams, Paul and Reed
- Giants loss in the past, ready for Seattle
- At 1-3, the Redskins are fighting history
- Five Redskins vs. Seahawks questions
- Redskins' Moss: 'It hurts' to be inactive every week
- Kirk Cousins needs to improve on the money down
- Redskins call audible on RG3's approach to rehab