Jul 25, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 25, 13 days before the Redskins open the preseason against the Patriots.
Nickel coverage News and notes from the rain-altered first day of training camp for the 2014 Redskins
—Even though it looks like Richard Crawford is healthy, Andre Roberts said that as of right now he has double duty as both the top kickoff returner and punt returner. He knows that’s not necessarily permanent. “You never know during training camp what they’re going to do. [It could] depend on how much they use me on offense …Right now, I’m on top. But we’ll see.”
—Back to Crawford, he’s had a great recovery. It’s been 11 months since he tore multiple knee ligaments in a preseason game. He went out on Thursday without a knee brace or even a protective sleeve. It will take a while to see if he’s lost a step and then we will have a better idea of his roster chances.
—It seems kind of odd on the surface. They ran the morning practice as normal despite the fact that there was a moderately heavy rain falling. Then, at a time when it wasn’t raining at all, they moved the afternoon walkthrough inside. Of course it all made sense when a torrential downpour with some lightning started at a time when they would have been about halfway through the walkthrough. A walkthrough can be conducted in a hotel ballroom fairly easily and they were able to get in all of the work they had planned in the morning. “We were able to get all the reps in, so we had a lot of learning that we could get accomplished on tape,” Jay Gruden said. “So we were very fortunate to get every play in.”
—With London Fletcher gone, some defenders are going to have to step up into a leadership role. Gruden said that DeAngelo Hall is one of the players he wants to see step up. “Well, he’s one of the veterans we’re going to count on, one of the backbones of this defense,” he said. “He’s been here for a long time. He knows what good defense is all about and he’s going to lead by example like he has.”
—Hall seemed to embrace the role and said that he and Gruden has talked about it during the offseason. “It’s going to be the first camp in a long time that I haven’t had a guy like Fletch around,” said Hall. “So definitely the onus is on me. Meeting with Jay [Gruden] this offseason he kind of stressed that to me and I embraced it.”
Timeline —Today’s schedule: Full practice 8:35; Jon Gruden media availability 1:00; Jay Gruden media availability 3:45; Walkthrough 4:10; players availability after both practices.
—It’s been 208 days since the Redskins played a game; in 44 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 13; Final cuts 36; Redskins @ Eagles 58 In case you missed it
- Hall: ‘I’ll take myself in a heartbeat’
- Redskins’ Griffin glad he doesn’t have to worry about getting enough reps
- Redskins’ Hatcher: Knee is ‘progressing pretty quickly’
- Redskins training camp practice report, Day 1: A soggy start
- Andre Roberts opens camp as punt and kickoff returner
- Redskins’ Gruden says mental game critical to Griffin’s success
- Redskins personnel decisions top camp priority for Gruden
Follow Us On Twitter
- OPEN THREAD: Can the Redskins slow DeMarco Murray?
- Gruden avoiding mistakes of 2013 in handling Griffin rehab
- Who will the Redskins start at QB Monday night?
- Redskins Park notes and quotes--McCoy wouldn't trade his past experiences
- Gruden says what it'll take for RG3 to start Monday
- Gruden glad Skins picked McCoy up off the 'streets'
- Redskins' Murphy set to make 'huge leap' Monday night
- Kerrigan says he has to step up with Orakpo out
- Fantasy Football: Week 8 buy or sell?
- Gruden says he'll make final QB decision Thursday