Jul 19, 2014, 4:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 19, five days before the Redskins start training camp.
We’re on the verge of the start of training camp and it’s time for Redskins fans to brace themselves for the rash of predictions that will come from the various “experts” in print and on the Internet. Since most of those make predictions have a tendency to copy and paste the previous season’s standings for use as this year’s forecast, the projections are not going to be pretty for the 3-13 Redskins.
But we know that the NFL is not that predictable. My friend Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com took a look at some predictions that were made prior to the 2013 season.
Found 2013 NFCE div winner predictions from ESPN, CBS, FOX, SI, & USA Today writers. Tally: Giants 27, Cowboys 18, Redskins 18, Eagles 0.
— Jimmy Kempski (@JimmyKempski) July 4, 2014
The Eagles, of course, won the division with a record of 10-6. The Giants, the solid favorite to win the division, were never in contention as they started out 0-6 before rallying to a 7-9 finish. Dallas finished 8-8.
To be sure, the fact that nobody is likely to pick the Redskins to win the division doesn’t mean that they are going to be this year’s Eagles. But it doesn’t mean that they are doomed, either.
—It’s been 202 days since the Redskins played a game; in 50 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 19; Final cuts 42; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 57
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins' Callahan on Lichtensteiger: 'We’re fortunate to have him'
- As deadline approaches, little momentum for Kirk Cousins' long-term deal
- Left guard preview: Big competition coming at Redskins camp