Jul 19, 2014, 4:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 19, five days before the Redskins start training camp.
We’re on the verge of the start of training camp and it’s time for Redskins fans to brace themselves for the rash of predictions that will come from the various “experts” in print and on the Internet. Since most of those make predictions have a tendency to copy and paste the previous season’s standings for use as this year’s forecast, the projections are not going to be pretty for the 3-13 Redskins.
But we know that the NFL is not that predictable. My friend Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com took a look at some predictions that were made prior to the 2013 season.
Found 2013 NFCE div winner predictions from ESPN, CBS, FOX, SI, & USA Today writers. Tally: Giants 27, Cowboys 18, Redskins 18, Eagles 0.
— Jimmy Kempski (@JimmyKempski) July 4, 2014
The Eagles, of course, won the division with a record of 10-6. The Giants, the solid favorite to win the division, were never in contention as they started out 0-6 before rallying to a 7-9 finish. Dallas finished 8-8.
To be sure, the fact that nobody is likely to pick the Redskins to win the division doesn’t mean that they are going to be this year’s Eagles. But it doesn’t mean that they are doomed, either.
—It’s been 202 days since the Redskins played a game; in 50 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 19; Final cuts 42; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 57
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Bengals—Which team is more desperate?
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions