Jul 13, 2014, 6:34 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 13, 11 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Yes, I know that Tanard Jackson told ESPN 980 that he intended to appeal his latest indefinite suspension. But word of the suspension came via a statement from the league office, not a media reports. That means that all appeals have been exhausted. It may be a moot point anyway at least as far as the Redskins are concerned. Even if he somehow is able to get reinstated relatively quickly it is hard to see how the Redskins could give Jackson, who has now been suspended four times, another chance. He has pulled the rug out from under the team twice now, in a major way in 2012 when he was slated to be the starter at safety and in a lesser way recently. It just wouldn’t be smart for the Redskins to give Jackson a third chance even if the league gives him a fifth chance.
—The conventional wisdom out there is that the Redskins keeping three quarterbacks is a done deed, that Colt McCoy will be the emergency backup being Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins. That is what I have said and although I’m sticking to it for now I have some doubt that McCoy will stay. Jay Gruden has talked about the importance of depth on the offensive line. Last year they carried just eight offensive linemen and I think that they will go with at least nine, maybe 10. That roster spot is going to have to come from somewhere and it could be QB. They could also keep five running backs with Chris Thompson working as the punt returner. That decision could squeeze McCoy off of the roster as well.
—Seven weeks from today the 53-man roster will be finalized. There could be more surprises than just a two-quarterback look. Early in the offseason Bruce Allen said that he expected there to be 25 players on the roster who are new to the organization. I projected a 53-man roster last month (offense, defense) staying largely within the consensus opinion and I had 20 new players. That means that there will be at least a few surprises. I could take a stab at picking some names but it’s best to wait until we have a week or so of training camp observations to work with. Some of the surprises on the 53, in fact, might not even be on the 90-man roster yet. Last year safety Jose Gumbs finalized his contract as he was stretching on the field before his first practice in Richmond. He was a surprise inclusion on the final roster a year ago.
—Redskins defensive end Jason Hatcher was born on this date in 1982.
—It’s been 196 days since the Redskins played a game; in 56 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 25; Final cuts 48; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 64
Tarik talks tight end
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'