Jul 13, 2014, 6:34 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 13, 11 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Yes, I know that Tanard Jackson told ESPN 980 that he intended to appeal his latest indefinite suspension. But word of the suspension came via a statement from the league office, not a media reports. That means that all appeals have been exhausted. It may be a moot point anyway at least as far as the Redskins are concerned. Even if he somehow is able to get reinstated relatively quickly it is hard to see how the Redskins could give Jackson, who has now been suspended four times, another chance. He has pulled the rug out from under the team twice now, in a major way in 2012 when he was slated to be the starter at safety and in a lesser way recently. It just wouldn’t be smart for the Redskins to give Jackson a third chance even if the league gives him a fifth chance.
—The conventional wisdom out there is that the Redskins keeping three quarterbacks is a done deed, that Colt McCoy will be the emergency backup being Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins. That is what I have said and although I’m sticking to it for now I have some doubt that McCoy will stay. Jay Gruden has talked about the importance of depth on the offensive line. Last year they carried just eight offensive linemen and I think that they will go with at least nine, maybe 10. That roster spot is going to have to come from somewhere and it could be QB. They could also keep five running backs with Chris Thompson working as the punt returner. That decision could squeeze McCoy off of the roster as well.
—Seven weeks from today the 53-man roster will be finalized. There could be more surprises than just a two-quarterback look. Early in the offseason Bruce Allen said that he expected there to be 25 players on the roster who are new to the organization. I projected a 53-man roster last month (offense, defense) staying largely within the consensus opinion and I had 20 new players. That means that there will be at least a few surprises. I could take a stab at picking some names but it’s best to wait until we have a week or so of training camp observations to work with. Some of the surprises on the 53, in fact, might not even be on the 90-man roster yet. Last year safety Jose Gumbs finalized his contract as he was stretching on the field before his first practice in Richmond. He was a surprise inclusion on the final roster a year ago.
—Redskins defensive end Jason Hatcher was born on this date in 1982.
—It’s been 196 days since the Redskins played a game; in 56 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 25; Final cuts 48; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 64
Tarik talks tight end
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy sends a gift to one Texas police department
- Dan Snyder displays heart of burgundy and gold; pays for Chief Zee's funeral
- Redskins will try in-house options to replace Galette
- Gruden says focus with Kirk Cousins is on football, not contracts
- Madden ranked its top five tight ends. Jordan Reed isn't one of them
- Rearranging priorities helped make 2015 Redskins more successful
- Kirk Cousins on contract: 'Don't think we really did' get close to a deal
- Redskins' training camp facility walloped by Richmond storm
- Greg Hardy to Redskins? NFL expert says Dwight Freeney more "realistic"
- OPEN THREAD: After Galette injury, should Redskins switch Trent Murphy back to LB?