Need to Know: RG3 ranking based on static analysis

Jul 11, 2014, 5:28 AM EDT

RG3_vs.Minn

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 11, 13 days before the Redskins start training camp.

Three and out

In a recent ESPN Insider article, Robert Griffin III was ranked 19th among NFL quarterbacks. The rankings were from a survey of league insiders including personnel executives and coaches. Needless to say, this ranking caused a bit of a stir among Redskins fans and analysts.

—I think that many of those who were doing the voting were engaging in static analysis. They looked at his 2013 performance and based their ranking on that. Griffin was 22nd among qualifying quarterbacks in passer rating so a ranking of 19th is about right based on that. But that ignores what he showed us in 2012. If you held a draft of all NFL quarterbacks, Griffin would go much higher than 19th. He’d certainly go top 10 and, if you were looking to build a team for the next 5-10 years, maybe top five. Much higher than 19th in any case.

—Besides his 2013 performance, the insiders expressed concern about his long-term health and his personality. The injury concerns are legitimate, even though he apparently got through last year none the worse for wear. But although Griffin may well be a high-maintenance employee to an extent, it seems to me that perceived issues about his leadership and overall makeup stem from ex-coach Mike Shanahan. It is likely that many of those surveyed have either talked to Shanahan or, based on what they have heard from the media and the league rumor mill, side with the former coach.

—Where should he rank? If I’m picking a QB for the 2014 season there are about a dozen or so guys I’d pick ahead of him; Aaron Rogers, the old guard like Manning and Brady, the young guns have had some success like Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick and a few others who have guided their teams to successful seasons like Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan. If I have an expansion team and I get to pick any QB I wanted, Griffin would come in behind Luck, Rogers (he just turned 30), and maybe Kaepernick and Wilson.

—Former Redskins tight end and current radio broadcaster Chris Cooley was born on this date in 1982.

—It’s been 194 days since the Redskins played a game; in 58 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.

Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 27; Final cuts 50; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 65

Tandler talking training camp

1. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jul 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I noticed that ranking when it came out, but otherwise do not care.

Get it done on the field. Win! Rankings, schmankings.
    ~

• ajbus1 - Jul 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Amen. They got nothing to talk about this time of year so they do crap like this. And it has to be a little controversial otherwise no one would bother to even read it. I call it “click bait”.

Rich’s “Need to Know” is all I need in the offseason.

2. abanig - Jul 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I think what’s more concerning is that many nfl execs and insiders still value and sought out that shmuck Mike Shanahan’s opinion for their opinion of RG3, without really know anything about him or what he was going through last season. Taking Shanahans opinion and making test their own seems like a cop out to me, and not doing their due diligence. Seeing as Shanahan is unemployed, if they wanted a good source to talk to about griffins season last year, they should have sought out Bruce Allen or Sean McVay and ignored Mike Shanahan and his conspiracy theories to try to bring RG3 down in order to keep his own job which he sucked at for 4 years except for ONE 7 game stretch in 2012.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM

To be fair, there really is no reason for the executives surveyed to spend any time conducting any due diligence on Griffin. He’s not going to be available via trade or on the waiver wire any time soon. They were answering a survey question and probably thought back to a a report or a conversation with Shanahan and gave their impressions from that. No reason to check other sources.

> >

• sullivandeezoldeezol67 - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Rich Tandler offered an opinion–and that’s all it was–that the negative reactions to RG3 stem from Shanahan. You’re taking as fact Tandler’s surmise. He said, “it seems to me.” And think about it: you don’t have to consult the Shanahans to believe RG3 is difficult to deal with: called out by veteran teammates last year for never accepting responsibility for failure; a guy who insinuates that things will be better without the Shanahans–there will be no “ulterior motives” this season; a guy who insisted on playing in the second half of the Seattle playoff game saying that he had deserved the right to play yet afterwards along with his dad RG2 implied that Shanahan was to blame for the injury by leaving him in. You got to walk on eggshells around this guy. I wish we had drafted Russell Wilson and kept our number 1s when we had the chance.

3. darrynhyman - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

You will have the fans that are homers to the end and will show no objectivity to the situation, “RGIII is great”, “Shanny is to blame for everything”…blah, blah, blah. As a fan myself, I hope the kid is a superstar that leads us to a SB, but having an objective mind…we all have to wait & see. He had a great 2012, but anybody who really knows the game could see his flaws as a long term NFL QB with pocket skills and it came to light in 2013. It was not all about his knee, no offseason, knee braces, coaching, and all the other excuses that I’ve heard and seen over time. We will have to see if he can develop into a successful NFL QB that can win for the longterm…the jury is still out. Do I think that 18 other QB’s are better, not necessarily, but that’s not too far out of reach for me.

4. kenlinkins - Jul 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

If you are looking at RG3′s body of work to date (i.e. looking into the rearview mirror) then maybe his 19th raking is about right. If you are trying to project his value as an NFL QB going forward (if you think you have they expertize and plan to turn that value into field production) even with his rumored and known short comings, IMO a 19th raking is pretty low. And if you remove the cost of the deal that made RG3 the Redskins QB (i.e. a stand alone review) then I would place him somewhere in the top seven NFL QB’s. That’s the great thing about debating sport figures, not only do we get to watch them perform, but we all get to have our ideas as defined by us as to their greatness (or lack there of). If RG3 is upset by the 19th raking (and I have not idea one way or another) then he knows what to do about it. Go out and win a ton of games and the rakings will take care of themselves.

5. manchild157 - Jul 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Can’t see getting upset about a 19th ranking for Griffin. Hell, he was recovering from a devastating injury that that many qbs might not have even been on the field so soon after. 19th is generous enough if we only view 2013. It would have been absurd to rank him any higher and would have seem a bogus survey if they ranked him in top 10.Besides I like my players having a bit of a chip on their shoulders with something to prove.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!