Jul 11, 2014, 5:28 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 11, 13 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
In a recent ESPN Insider article, Robert Griffin III was ranked 19th among NFL quarterbacks. The rankings were from a survey of league insiders including personnel executives and coaches. Needless to say, this ranking caused a bit of a stir among Redskins fans and analysts.
—I think that many of those who were doing the voting were engaging in static analysis. They looked at his 2013 performance and based their ranking on that. Griffin was 22nd among qualifying quarterbacks in passer rating so a ranking of 19th is about right based on that. But that ignores what he showed us in 2012. If you held a draft of all NFL quarterbacks, Griffin would go much higher than 19th. He’d certainly go top 10 and, if you were looking to build a team for the next 5-10 years, maybe top five. Much higher than 19th in any case.
—Besides his 2013 performance, the insiders expressed concern about his long-term health and his personality. The injury concerns are legitimate, even though he apparently got through last year none the worse for wear. But although Griffin may well be a high-maintenance employee to an extent, it seems to me that perceived issues about his leadership and overall makeup stem from ex-coach Mike Shanahan. It is likely that many of those surveyed have either talked to Shanahan or, based on what they have heard from the media and the league rumor mill, side with the former coach.
—Where should he rank? If I’m picking a QB for the 2014 season there are about a dozen or so guys I’d pick ahead of him; Aaron Rogers, the old guard like Manning and Brady, the young guns have had some success like Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick and a few others who have guided their teams to successful seasons like Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan. If I have an expansion team and I get to pick any QB I wanted, Griffin would come in behind Luck, Rogers (he just turned 30), and maybe Kaepernick and Wilson.
—Former Redskins tight end and current radio broadcaster Chris Cooley was born on this date in 1982.
—It’s been 194 days since the Redskins played a game; in 58 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 27; Final cuts 50; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 65
Tandler talking training camp
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman hopes to play vs. AJ Green, Bengals on Sunday
- Redskins' Jay Gruden: Matt Jones out for Sunday's game vs. Bengals
- Jordan Reed, Josh Norman participate in select parts of Redskins Friday practice
- Did the Redskins err in trying to make this a "regular" week?
- With Matt Jones' status in doubt, Redskins sign Mack Brown to roster
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins