Jul 10, 2014, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 10, 14 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
Here are a few tidbits and updates as we are two weeks away from the first practice of Redskins training camp 2014.
—Players are off but there were at least a dozen cars in the players lot at Redskins Park yesterday and the weight room was active. Other players, like Robert Griffin III, are working out at various locations around the country. Talking about quarterbacks putting in work in weeks leading up to camp, Jay Gruden said, “You have got to take care of yourself when nobody is watching you in order to be great. I know that Drew [Brees] is going to do it, I know Tom Brady does it, Peyton Manning does it.” And Chris Baker knows that the guys who are going to be blocking him are probably in a weight room somewhere and Niles Paul knows that whoever is going to be covering him isn’t lounging on a beach somewhere.
—The assistant coaches are also officially off but some of them have been around the building getting ready for camp. I ran into Jim Haslett, who seems to be pretty pumped about the way the defense is coming together. When I mentioned that the preseason opener is four weeks away, he said that his guys could line up and play tomorrow.
—That preseason opener against the Patriots will be preceded by three days of joint practices with Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and company. At that point the Redskins will have practiced for nine days against each other and they will be happy to compete against anyone from a different team. We don’t really know what this will look like but I think we’ll see a lot of one on one competition (O-linemen vs. D-linemen, wide receivers vs. cornerbacks) as well as a lot of seven on seven and 11 on 11 drills.
—It’s been 193 days since the Redskins played a game; in 59 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 28; Final cuts 51; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 66
Haslett: Defense will improve via turnovers
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Cardinals become first NFL team to have a female coach
- Ryan Kerrigan's driver's license picture is simply spectacular
- Cooley's confident, but may have to wait until the season to make his return
- Former Giants All-Pro wants to re-sign, and then retire, with team
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr. makes his pick for Redskins 'Best of the Best'
- Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams both viewed highly by one NFL expert
- Kerrigan gets ready for camp with Explosive Performance
- Redskins' Robinson enters camp as established starter
- Best of the Best: Rich Tandler, JP Finlay vote Green vs Riggo
- Tim Tebow is doing one thing really, really well for the Eagles