Jul 10, 2014, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 10, 14 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
Here are a few tidbits and updates as we are two weeks away from the first practice of Redskins training camp 2014.
—Players are off but there were at least a dozen cars in the players lot at Redskins Park yesterday and the weight room was active. Other players, like Robert Griffin III, are working out at various locations around the country. Talking about quarterbacks putting in work in weeks leading up to camp, Jay Gruden said, “You have got to take care of yourself when nobody is watching you in order to be great. I know that Drew [Brees] is going to do it, I know Tom Brady does it, Peyton Manning does it.” And Chris Baker knows that the guys who are going to be blocking him are probably in a weight room somewhere and Niles Paul knows that whoever is going to be covering him isn’t lounging on a beach somewhere.
—The assistant coaches are also officially off but some of them have been around the building getting ready for camp. I ran into Jim Haslett, who seems to be pretty pumped about the way the defense is coming together. When I mentioned that the preseason opener is four weeks away, he said that his guys could line up and play tomorrow.
—That preseason opener against the Patriots will be preceded by three days of joint practices with Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and company. At that point the Redskins will have practiced for nine days against each other and they will be happy to compete against anyone from a different team. We don’t really know what this will look like but I think we’ll see a lot of one on one competition (O-linemen vs. D-linemen, wide receivers vs. cornerbacks) as well as a lot of seven on seven and 11 on 11 drills.
—It’s been 193 days since the Redskins played a game; in 59 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 28; Final cuts 51; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 66
Haslett: Defense will improve via turnovers
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins sign 13 undrafted free agents
- Jordan Reed doesn't see how defenses will be able to keep up with Redskins' legion of receivers
- Jordan Reed eager to prove he's worth the money
- Jordan Reed discusses big contract extension with the Redskins
- Redskins get a draft pick in the fold
- Redskins building a long-term core of star players
- Reed deal a big item off of Redskins to-do list
- Redskins make Jordan Reed second-highest paid tight end in NFL
- What do sports books think of Doctson's chances to win Rookie of the Year?
- After 2016 NFL Draft, Redskins Super Bowl odds shift for next season