Jul 9, 2014, 5:01 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, July 9, 15 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—The Redskins had a lot of problems on defense in 2013 but third down conversion rate was not among them. Opposing teams converted on 34 percent of their third down attempts, the fourth best mark in the NFL.
—They were equally adept at stopping both the run and the pass on third down. Teams converted on 52 of 152 third-down passes (34.2 percent) and 14 of 42 rushing attempts (33.3 percent). Their opponents averaged 7.2 yards to go on third down plays, just about the NFL average.
—Despite the stellar third down performance, teams didn’t have any issues moving the chains against the Redskins. They gave up 329 first downs, 21st in the NFL. They had major problems with giving up first downs on first-down plays. Washington gave up 122, compared to the NFL average of 97 per team. The Redskins weren’t very good on fourth down, either, as they gave up 12 first downs (NFL average was 7).
—It’s been 192 days since the Redskins played a game; in 60 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 29; Final cuts 52; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 67
Kotwica: “The most physical football team wins in this league”
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- What will the Redskins do with four starters out?
- Reed, Culliver among several starters out vs. Falcons
- Kirk's next challenge: Starting a winning streak
- Jarrett looking like a draft steal for the Redskins
- Baylor RG3 statue vandalized
- Jordan Reed remains in concussion protocol system
- Fantasy Fix: Todd Gurley running hot in Week 5 rankings
- Redskins are lost away from home
- Julio Jones set to test Redskins' banged up secondary
- Friday will be key to determining Culliver's status for Falcons game