Jul 8, 2014, 4:38 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 8, 16 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—During minicamp, just before the five-week break before training camp, Jay Gruden was asked what he expected Robert Griffin III to do during the break. “Quarterbacks need to throw,” he said. “He needs to continue throwing and working on his footwork and fundamentals, different arm angles throwing the ball. You see some, he’s got to throw three-quarters, over the top, high release, low release, footwork, stepping up into the pocket, two hands on the ball. There is drill work you can do as a quarterback that you have got to take care of yourself when nobody is watching you in order to be great.”
—It sounds like Griffin is following those instructions, with the exception of the part about nobody watching you. Terry Shea, who worked with Griffin during the offseason in 2012 and earlier this year, will be working with Griffin for about a week before the start of training camp. It makes sense to bring in a QB guru. You can’t really judge how good your footwork on your own.
—It was clear that Griffin’s fundamentals suffered last year since he was spending all of his time in rehab and not on the field. Better footwork and holding the ball up higher won’t automatically lead to a higher passer rating. But it will be hard for Griffin to get better if those elements are sloppy.
—It’s been 191 days since the Redskins played a game; in 61 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener vs. Patriots 31; Final cuts 53; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 69
Hall: Redskins still looking for identity
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins draft board: Quarterback
- GM's history points to an edge rusher with Redskins' top pick
- What's the best case win total for the 2015 Redskins?
- 25 Redskins questions: What will the 2015 record be?
- Joe Theismann agrees with decision to name RG3 the starter
- Who were McCloughan's best late-round picks?
- Eagles chase for Mariota might not be over
- Report: Top WR visited the Redskins
- For Garçon, Redskins must improve in 2015 or "it's all bad"
- Redskins sending coaches to meet with top edge rusher