Jul 5, 2014, 5:49 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 5, 19 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Robert Griffin III told FoxSports.com recently that “What I think is going to help us most this year is that everybody in that building is going to be for us being successful and for us winning. There are no ulterior motives. That will be great.” As does nearly anything that Griffin says, this statement invited some intense parsing by media and fans. As usual, the scrutiny was generally overblown.
—This statement stands out because we went most of the six months since Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced with Jay Gruden without any sorts of veiled shots being taken at the former coach by his main adversary. Griffin has not offered at a few softball opportunities to do so that have been tossed in his direction. He has remained on the high road.
—The bottom line here is that he said what he said in July. If he is still saying such things in September or October, there could be cause for concern that he isn’t focused on the present. Even then, if you know anything about Griffin and even occasionally look at his Twitter timeline, he is someone who is motivated by the “haters” and who seems to thrive on adversity. If he keeps last year in the back of his mind and thinks about it to use as motivation when he’s preparing that’s probably more positive than negative.
—It’s been 188 days since the Redskins played a game; in 64 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 19; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 33; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 71
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- How different will the Redskins' D-line look in 2016?
- Redskins outclass NFC East for 2015 rookie haul
- Ballhawks wanted at Redskins Park
- What will the Redskins' depth chart look like at safety?
- Report: Former Redskins WR injured after accidentally shooting self
- After an improbable rise, can Quinton Dunbar keep improving?
- Why haven't the Redskins released RG3?
- Ranking the top 20 most talented NFL players under the age of 25
- 2015 Redskins led NFL in fumble recoveries but didn’t take advantage
- Kirk Cousins, Antonio Brown team up to break world record held by OBJ