Jul 5, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 5, 19 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Robert Griffin III told FoxSports.com recently that “What I think is going to help us most this year is that everybody in that building is going to be for us being successful and for us winning. There are no ulterior motives. That will be great.” As does nearly anything that Griffin says, this statement invited some intense parsing by media and fans. As usual, the scrutiny was generally overblown.
—This statement stands out because we went most of the six months since Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced with Jay Gruden without any sorts of veiled shots being taken at the former coach by his main adversary. Griffin has not offered at a few softball opportunities to do so that have been tossed in his direction. He has remained on the high road.
—The bottom line here is that he said what he said in July. If he is still saying such things in September or October, there could be cause for concern that he isn’t focused on the present. Even then, if you know anything about Griffin and even occasionally look at his Twitter timeline, he is someone who is motivated by the “haters” and who seems to thrive on adversity. If he keeps last year in the back of his mind and thinks about it to use as motivation when he’s preparing that’s probably more positive than negative.
—It’s been 188 days since the Redskins played a game; in 64 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 19; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 33; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 71
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly