Jul 5, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 5, 19 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Robert Griffin III told FoxSports.com recently that “What I think is going to help us most this year is that everybody in that building is going to be for us being successful and for us winning. There are no ulterior motives. That will be great.” As does nearly anything that Griffin says, this statement invited some intense parsing by media and fans. As usual, the scrutiny was generally overblown.
—This statement stands out because we went most of the six months since Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced with Jay Gruden without any sorts of veiled shots being taken at the former coach by his main adversary. Griffin has not offered at a few softball opportunities to do so that have been tossed in his direction. He has remained on the high road.
—The bottom line here is that he said what he said in July. If he is still saying such things in September or October, there could be cause for concern that he isn’t focused on the present. Even then, if you know anything about Griffin and even occasionally look at his Twitter timeline, he is someone who is motivated by the “haters” and who seems to thrive on adversity. If he keeps last year in the back of his mind and thinks about it to use as motivation when he’s preparing that’s probably more positive than negative.
—It’s been 188 days since the Redskins played a game; in 64 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 19; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 33; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 71
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Jay Gruden joins STL to look ahead to Cowboys
- Gruden says run game needs to improve, including Morris
- Orakpo injury becomes another big blow to Skins defense
- Gruden not ruling out RG3 this week
- Redskins' Gruden: Murphy must 'grow up very fast'
- Gruden on RG3's return: Robert has to be honest
- Gruden: McCoy will start for Redskins vs. Dallas if RG3 not ready
- For Redskins to match Peyton Manning numbers, go back to 1989
- Brian Orakpo apologizes to Redskins fans
- Fantasy Fix: Waiver wire not running on empty with Tre Mason