Jul 4, 2014, 6:13 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 4, 20 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
Yesterday we looked at how frequently Jay Gruden called passes when he was the offensive coordinator with the Bengals. Now lets flip the coin over and look at his running play calls from 2011-2013.
—Cincinnati ran 1,366 times from 2011-2013. That ranked 11th in the NFL, just three attempts behind, yes, the Redskins. The 49ers led the league in rushing attempts with 1,497 and the Cowboys ran the fewest times, 1,089.
—Gruden’s Bengals liked to pound the rock on first down. They ran 761 times on first down, more than all but five other teams.
—When the Bengals got close to the goal line Gruden did a good job of keeping the other team guessing with 114 pass plays and 109 running plays called on plays inside the opponents’ 10-yard line. The results were not very impressive with the Bengals scoring 65 touchdowns on those plays, 13th in the NFL.
—It’s been 187 days since the Redskins played a game; in 65 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 20; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 34; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 72
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Could Matt Forte be a fit for the Ravens or Redskins?
- The Redskins week that was—rebuilding the defense
- Report: Final hurdle cleared ahead of RG3's expected release
- RG3 gets birthday wishes from Terrance Knighton - complete with big hit
- Do the Redskins need to find new returners in 2016?
- Have the Redskins found the answer at right tackle?
- NBC10: No warrant expected for LeSean McCoy until next week
- For Redskins and Cousins no news is good news
- How different will the Redskins' D-line look in 2016?
- Redskins outclass NFC East for 2015 rookie haul