Jul 4, 2014, 6:13 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 4, 20 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
Yesterday we looked at how frequently Jay Gruden called passes when he was the offensive coordinator with the Bengals. Now lets flip the coin over and look at his running play calls from 2011-2013.
—Cincinnati ran 1,366 times from 2011-2013. That ranked 11th in the NFL, just three attempts behind, yes, the Redskins. The 49ers led the league in rushing attempts with 1,497 and the Cowboys ran the fewest times, 1,089.
—Gruden’s Bengals liked to pound the rock on first down. They ran 761 times on first down, more than all but five other teams.
—When the Bengals got close to the goal line Gruden did a good job of keeping the other team guessing with 114 pass plays and 109 running plays called on plays inside the opponents’ 10-yard line. The results were not very impressive with the Bengals scoring 65 touchdowns on those plays, 13th in the NFL.
—It’s been 187 days since the Redskins played a game; in 65 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 20; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 34; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 72
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Griffin listed as questionable on Redskins injury report
- Gruden: Murphy needs to think less, react more
- Hankerson looks good, but is a 'long shot' for Monday
- No further changes on Redskins offensive line appear imminent
- Pierre Garcon stops by SportsTalk Live
- Kai Forbath goes 1-on-1 to diagnose game-winning kick
- Week 8 Starts and Sits: Sammy Watkins set for success
- Rotoworld's Kay Adams on Alfred Morris' fantasy value
- Larry Michael makes his Redskins-Cowboys pick
- Tom Compton to replace Tyler Polumbus at right tackle