Jul 3, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
We’re counting down to the start of training camp here by looking at some numbers that will be keys to the Redskins’ 2014 season.
20—Kickoffs inside the 20
While Kai Forbath will get some serious competition from Zach Hocker for the job as the Redskins’ kicker, it seems likely that when all is said and done Forbath will be lining up to kickoff when the Redskins open the season on Houston on September 7. Unless Forbath gets a bionic leg installed between now and then it is unlikely that he will consistently pound balls into the end zone for touchbacks. He was 31st in the NFL last year with 14 touchbacks and that isn’t going to improve significantly.
The Redskins will have to work with Forbath’s limitations but that doesn’t mean that they have to give up field position every time they kickoff. There are other ways to get the job done like directional kicks with solid coverage that pins the other team inside the 20 yard line.
A goal of 20 kickoffs inside the 20 is an ambitious one. Last year Forbath had nine in 13 games. Only one kicker, Phil Dawson of the 49ers (23), had more than 20 kickoffs inside the 20. But eight kickers had more than 15 such kicks so it’s not unrealistic.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Cardinals become first NFL team to have a female coach
- Ryan Kerrigan's driver's license picture is simply spectacular
- Cooley's confident, but may have to wait until the season to make his return
- Former Giants All-Pro wants to re-sign, and then retire, with team
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr. makes his pick for Redskins 'Best of the Best'
- Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams both viewed highly by one NFL expert
- Kerrigan gets ready for camp with Explosive Performance
- Best of the Best: Rich Tandler, JP Finlay vote Green vs Riggo
- Tim Tebow is doing one thing really, really well for the Eagles
- Redskins training camp preview: Defense