Jul 3, 2014, 4:46 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 3, 21 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
I was doing some research on pass attempts by the Bengals over the three years that Jay Gruden was calling plays there. I found out more interesting stuff than I could use in the post so let’s take a look at some of it here.
—The Bengals attempted 1,764 passes from 2011-2013. Coincidentally, that is exactly as many passes as the Redskins under Mike and Kyle Shanahan attempted. Gruden’s past and present teams tied for 19th in the NFL in pass attempts. The Lions led the league in pass attempts with 2,128 while the 49ers threw 1,430 times, the fewest in the NFL.
—Peeling back the onion a little more, how often did Gruden call passes on first down? Since all options are open to the play caller, that’s perhaps a better indicator of his run or pass mindset. During his time in Cincinnati only four teams called fewer pass plays on first down than did Gruden. He called 595 first-down passes; only the Chiefs, 49ers, Jets, and Seahawks called fewer. The Patriots called the most with 831.
—It seems that Gruden doesn’t particularly like to sit on the ball to protect a lead. The Bengals threw 609 passes while holding a lead (at any point during the game); that ranked seventh in the NFL. And it didn’t particularly matter if Cincinnati had a bigger lead. Gruden called 418 passes when up by seven points or more, eighth-mist in the NFL.
—Redskins tight end Jordan Reed was born on this date in 1990.
—It’s been 186 days since the Redskins played a game; in 66 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 21; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 35; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 73
Who has the most to prove?
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Bills: 5 things to watch in the preseason game that matters
- Think again about Redskins taking a serious look at Stevan Ridley
- Report: Stork to report to Redskins over the weekend
- Projecting the Redskins 53-man roster: First cuts approaching
- Redskins Playbook: Watching for the Stork as practice moves locations
- Money matters in Stork's decision to play for Redskins
- Need to Know: Other positions could squeeze Redskins' numbers at linebacker
- Redskins trade for Bryan Stork made official
- Is Bryan Stork retiring instead of joining the Redskins?
- Patriots trade C Bryan Stork to Redskins