Jul 3, 2014, 4:46 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 3, 21 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
I was doing some research on pass attempts by the Bengals over the three years that Jay Gruden was calling plays there. I found out more interesting stuff than I could use in the post so let’s take a look at some of it here.
—The Bengals attempted 1,764 passes from 2011-2013. Coincidentally, that is exactly as many passes as the Redskins under Mike and Kyle Shanahan attempted. Gruden’s past and present teams tied for 19th in the NFL in pass attempts. The Lions led the league in pass attempts with 2,128 while the 49ers threw 1,430 times, the fewest in the NFL.
—Peeling back the onion a little more, how often did Gruden call passes on first down? Since all options are open to the play caller, that’s perhaps a better indicator of his run or pass mindset. During his time in Cincinnati only four teams called fewer pass plays on first down than did Gruden. He called 595 first-down passes; only the Chiefs, 49ers, Jets, and Seahawks called fewer. The Patriots called the most with 831.
—It seems that Gruden doesn’t particularly like to sit on the ball to protect a lead. The Bengals threw 609 passes while holding a lead (at any point during the game); that ranked seventh in the NFL. And it didn’t particularly matter if Cincinnati had a bigger lead. Gruden called 418 passes when up by seven points or more, eighth-mist in the NFL.
—Redskins tight end Jordan Reed was born on this date in 1990.
—It’s been 186 days since the Redskins played a game; in 66 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 21; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 35; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 73
Who has the most to prove?
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- NFL says two penalties on Breeland should not have been called
- Report: Vick says playing for Skins would be a dream come true
- Tarik El-Bashir and Clifton Brown talk Ravens, Redskins
- Hines Ward talks RG3, Ravens and Johnny Football
- DeSean Jackson says he's over the Eagles
- Gruden likes the Redskins 'core' of players
- Redskins' Gruden thinks what he says about RG3 gets "twisted"
- Jordan Reed misses practices for child's birth
- 2015 NFL mock draft: Wish list shouldn't start with Winston, Mariota
- Trent Williams, Jason Hatcher sidelined Wednesday