Jul 1, 2014, 5:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 1, 23 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
It looks like Jay Gruden and Sean McVay are taking the training wheels off for Robert Griffin III. Well, some of the time at least.
—“Some of the audible situations we’ll give him the opportunity to call things at the line,” said McVay during last month’s minicamp. “He’s shown he’s fully capable of doing it and that’s what gives him a great chance to have success this year.”
—Mike Shanahan never really liked to discuss much in terms of what freedom, if any, Griffin or any of his quarterbacks had in terms of calling audibles. It makes sense to keep this information under wraps. There is just no reason to let the other team know what the QB can or can’t do at the line of scrimmage. Gruden and McVay know that also and I will not be holding my breath waiting for them to reveal any further details about Griffin’s ability to change plays at the line.
—I’ve seen some fans assert that this will make a major difference in Washington’s offense. I think it helps and it’s a good thing for Griffin’s development but let’s not go overboard here. It seems that the situations where he can audible are quite limited. He won’t be out there reading defenses on the fly like Peyton Manning. And if Gruden is calling the right plays in the right situations the power to audible should be moot much of the time.
—It’s been 184 days since the Redskins played a game; in 68 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 23; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 37; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 75
Looking forward to the heat in Richmond
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins sign 13 undrafted free agents
- Jordan Reed doesn't see how defenses will be able to keep up with Redskins' legion of receivers
- Jordan Reed eager to prove he's worth the money
- Jordan Reed discusses big contract extension with the Redskins
- Redskins get a draft pick in the fold
- Redskins building a long-term core of star players
- Reed deal a big item off of Redskins to-do list
- Redskins make Jordan Reed second-highest paid tight end in NFL
- What do sports books think of Doctson's chances to win Rookie of the Year?
- After 2016 NFL Draft, Redskins Super Bowl odds shift for next season