Jun 30, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We’re counting down to the start of training camp here by looking at some numbers that will be keys to the Redskins’ 2014 season.
No. 23—DeAngelo Hall
A little over a year ago it didn’t look like DeAngelo Hall would be a part of the Redskins any more. He had been cut in a salary cap move and it was unclear if they would be able to come to contract terms. But after a few weeks Hall was back, signing a one-year deal that was very team friendly.
This year the team didn’t wait that long to lock up Hall, who they consider to be the key member of their secondary. With second-year player David Amerson starting at one cornerback spot and age a factor at safety, Hall is the rock of the team’s defensive backfield, if only by default.
Takeaways are going to be the key for the Redskins aggressive defensive scheme and that’s what Hall does best. Last year he picked off four passes, returning two of them for touchdowns. He also forced three fumbles and recovered one, brining that one in for a score.
Yes, Hall has some issues in coverage. He is not a lockdown corner but he is better than many fans and analysts give him credit for. His play will go a long way towards determining how well the Redskins’ defense performs this year.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Why did the Redskins wait to bring back RG3?
- What does RG3's return do for fantasy value of others?
- Redskins Nation: Griffin ready to go
- Gruden believes that Griffin is ready to play
- Breeland injures knee in practice, questionable for Sunday
- RG3 spent time during rehab studying the elite QBs
- RG3 doesn't think he'll be too nervous in return
- RG3 discusses the 'rust' factor
- Gruden speaks on RG3's week of practice
- RG3 says he will lean on his teammates in return