Jun 30, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 30, 24 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
I did some research yesterday about the Redskins having issues with finishing drives due to turnovers last year. What I found was pretty interesting so I decided to dig a little deeper into unfinished drives. These numbers shed some light on how the Redskins managed to be ninth in the NFL in yards gained but 23rd in points scored.
—Last year the Redskins had 14 drives of 50 yards or longer that did not result in a score. Of those drives, five ended with interceptions, four with fumbles, two on downs, two on missed field goals and the first-half clock ran out on the other one. The futile drives came in 10 different games at the Redskins went 1-9 in those games.
—On the other side of the ball, the Redskins managed to stop nine drives of 50-plus yards before the other team scored. They ended one by forcing a punt, ended two with fumbles, two on downs, watched as opponents missed three field goals, and one eded when the game clock expired. Washington won three games last year and two of them came in games where the managed to stop long drives.
—How do the Redskins’ problems here compare to the rest of the league? In the NFL last year there were 267 scoreless drives of 50 yards or longer. That’s an average of about 8.3 per team over the course of the season. The Redskins’ 14 tied them with the Jaguars for the most in the NFL.
—It’s been 183 days since the Redskins played a game; in 69 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 24; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 38; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 76
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- End game? Per report, RG3 finished as starting QB
- El-Bashir: Gruden needs to make a move, now
- Kirk Cousins looks good after rocky start, but is it enough?
- Bubble watch version 6.0: Predicting the Redskins’ 53-man roster
- Jones, Crowder continue strong preseason against Ravens
- Gruden refutes report regarding starting QB decision
- Chick Hernandez interrupts Trent Williams interview
- Gruden on exchange with Harbaugh: I was a little perturbed with that
- Trent Williams on new contract: 'It's a dream come true'
- Ihenacho not satisfied with first-team defense's performance