Jun 30, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 30, 24 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
I did some research yesterday about the Redskins having issues with finishing drives due to turnovers last year. What I found was pretty interesting so I decided to dig a little deeper into unfinished drives. These numbers shed some light on how the Redskins managed to be ninth in the NFL in yards gained but 23rd in points scored.
—Last year the Redskins had 14 drives of 50 yards or longer that did not result in a score. Of those drives, five ended with interceptions, four with fumbles, two on downs, two on missed field goals and the first-half clock ran out on the other one. The futile drives came in 10 different games at the Redskins went 1-9 in those games.
—On the other side of the ball, the Redskins managed to stop nine drives of 50-plus yards before the other team scored. They ended one by forcing a punt, ended two with fumbles, two on downs, watched as opponents missed three field goals, and one eded when the game clock expired. Washington won three games last year and two of them came in games where the managed to stop long drives.
—How do the Redskins’ problems here compare to the rest of the league? In the NFL last year there were 267 scoreless drives of 50 yards or longer. That’s an average of about 8.3 per team over the course of the season. The Redskins’ 14 tied them with the Jaguars for the most in the NFL.
—It’s been 183 days since the Redskins played a game; in 69 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 24; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 38; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 76
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- VIDEO: Redskins help promote Play 60
- Week 4 stats: Cousins as bad as he was good
- Gruden reacts to Giants loss: Thank goodness it only counts once
- Redskins Park news and notes--Gruden tight lipped on injuries
- Jordan Reed takes steps towards returning
- Trent Williams hopes to play against Seattle
- Gruden: RG3 recovery timetable still up in the air
- Niles Paul provides update on his condition
- If not the Redskins, what NFL jerseys sell most in DC?
- Some injured Redskins back on the field