Jun 27, 2014, 4:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, June 27, 27 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—“Ryan, it’s his strength. What are the little things you do to make him better? It’s to try to get Ryan to play to his strength which is his strength. He’s a freak. I was shocked.” That’s Brian Baker when asked what Ryan Kerrigan’s strong point is. It kind of seems strange that a player would have to learn how to use his strength. But if Baker can give him some pointers and turn him into a double-digit sack guy that’s a huge plus.
—“Rak’s special thing is, he’s an unbelievable momentum rusher. Once he gets off the rock and he’s hitting the rush angles he puts so much pressure on the tackle that he is going to by and large put pressure on the quarterback whether it’s on the outside rush or outside end rush when that ball’s snapped he’s going.” That’s Baker answering the same question about Orakpo. If he gets his guy moving backwards, he gets to the QB. If he can’t, he struggles.
—“[Orakpo] tends to get thick on guys, get down the middle on guys. That makes it harder to, No. 1, rush through a 320-pound offensive tackle in time to get the quarterback from such a wide spot, just from a time an space situation, that’s tough to do. What we want to do with him, is everything that he’s doing, get him comfortable rushing at that same relative angle but now working half the man.” This is how Baker is trying to get Orakpo to get around tackles without taking too wide and angle. It all sounds good to a bunch of reporters standing around the coach with recorders in June. We’ll see how it works out on the field when Sept. 7 rolls around.
—It’s been 180 days since the Redskins played a game; in 72 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 27; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 41; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 79
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar