Jun 26, 2014, 4:51 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, June 26, 28 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—Jason Hatcher seems to be doing well. He tweeted on Tuesday that he is off of crutches and starting his rehab at Redskins Park. It seems to be too early to completely cross him off the list of pre-camp concerns but certainly this has to be considered a good sign.
—Hatcher is going to turn 32 between now and the start of training camp. Is age in and of itself going to be a problem? It shouldn’t be. Since they started keeping sacks as an official statistic in 1982 a player age 32 or older has recorded 10 or more sacks in a season 63 times. The Colts’ Robert Mathis was 32 last year when he led the NFL in sacks with 19.5. Of course, a lot of older linemen have played entire seasons and have not posted double-digit sacks. There is no guarantee that Hatcher will succeed.
—“They’re going to do a lot of stuff they did with me in Dallas,” Hatcher told me early in OTAs. “They’re not going to take my strengths away, what I do to help this defense.” In other words, fans shouldn’t be concerned that Hatcher was just OK playing in the Cowboys’ 3-4 defense and didn’t make a Pro Bowl until they went to the 4-3. The Redskins only run a true 3-4 about half of the time anyway and they are lining up Hatcher in places where he can be most effective.
—It’s been 179 days since the Redskins played a game; in 73 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 28; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 42; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 80
Tandler talks 53-man roster on Redskins Nation
In case you missed it
- Depth chart: Who backs up Barry Cofield at NT?
- Redskins camp countdown: 28 forced fumbles
- Fan questions: Will the 2014 Redskins be pass happy?
- 30 questions: Who will be the Redskins’ impact rookie?
- Redskins’ Hatcher says he’s off crutches 5 days after knee surgery
- Points will need to soar for 2014 Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- B-Mitch doubles down: Redskins should go after Ndamukong Suh
- Jay Gruden talks about 2014: Nobody likes to lose
- Looks like Dez Bryant is staying in Dallas, probably
- Adjustment raises Redskins' available cap space
- Redskins free agent fits: Interior offensive line
- 2015 NFL salary cap beats even highest estimates
- Will the Redskins try to squeeze out more cap room?
- Redskins stay or go: TE Niles Paul
- Redskins, NFL get ready to embark on a busy March
- OPEN THREAD: Are the Eagles a viable draft trade partner for the Redskins?