Jun 25, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
We’re counting down to the start of training camp here by looking at some numbers that will be keys to the Redskins’ 2014 season.
28—Fumbles the Redskins need to force
The Redskins recovered 10 opponents’ fumbles in 2013; a dozen NFL teams recovered fewer fumbles, putting the Redskins in the lower middle of the pack. This year there is a greater emphasis on stripping the ball away, especially from the opposing quarterback according to outside linebackers coach Brian Baker.
How many fumbles do the Redskins need to force to have a good season in that category? We’re going to go with 28 being the team’s mark of success here. A ball on the ground is generally a 50-50 proposition. Half are recovered by the fumbling team, half by the other team. If the Redskins force 28 fumbles they should be able to fall on about 14 of them. That would have them among the league leaders in fumble recoveries.
Follow Us On Twitter
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins
- Redskins release veteran linebacker Hayward
- OPEN THREAD: Examining ket stats to improve the Redskins run game
- Need to Know: Pressure is on Redskins' Scherff to perform at a high level very quickly
- Josh Norman to Odell Beckham: Don't know how to respond other than laugh