Jun 25, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
We’re counting down to the start of training camp here by looking at some numbers that will be keys to the Redskins’ 2014 season.
28—Fumbles the Redskins need to force
The Redskins recovered 10 opponents’ fumbles in 2013; a dozen NFL teams recovered fewer fumbles, putting the Redskins in the lower middle of the pack. This year there is a greater emphasis on stripping the ball away, especially from the opposing quarterback according to outside linebackers coach Brian Baker.
How many fumbles do the Redskins need to force to have a good season in that category? We’re going to go with 28 being the team’s mark of success here. A ball on the ground is generally a 50-50 proposition. Half are recovered by the fumbling team, half by the other team. If the Redskins force 28 fumbles they should be able to fall on about 14 of them. That would have them among the league leaders in fumble recoveries.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Five final thoughts on Redskins vs. Eagles
- DeSean Jackson, Kirk Cousins ready for Eagles? (VIDEO)
- Fantasy Fix: Nick Foles vs. Redskins top-ranked defense
- Will Kirk Cousins take advantage of latest opportunity?
- Redskins' Jason Hatcher gets small surprise from NFL
- What they're saying about the Redskins--Bullish on Cousins
- Kay Adams on Kirk Cousins' fantasy value (VIDEO)
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Redskins get bad news on Jordan Reed's status for Sunday
- With Forbath questionable, Redskins will have kicker insurance