Jun 25, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
We’re counting down to the start of training camp here by looking at some numbers that will be keys to the Redskins’ 2014 season.
28—Fumbles the Redskins need to force
The Redskins recovered 10 opponents’ fumbles in 2013; a dozen NFL teams recovered fewer fumbles, putting the Redskins in the lower middle of the pack. This year there is a greater emphasis on stripping the ball away, especially from the opposing quarterback according to outside linebackers coach Brian Baker.
How many fumbles do the Redskins need to force to have a good season in that category? We’re going to go with 28 being the team’s mark of success here. A ball on the ground is generally a 50-50 proposition. Half are recovered by the fumbling team, half by the other team. If the Redskins force 28 fumbles they should be able to fall on about 14 of them. That would have them among the league leaders in fumble recoveries.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Fantasy Football: Week 8 buy or sell?
- Gruden say he'll make final QB decision Thursday
- Redskins' McCoy: 'I’m just going to prepare as the starter'
- Gruden: RG3 taking reps in number of roles at QB spot
- Update: Latest on RG3's return to practice field
- Brian Orakpo flashes "Beat Dallas" sign from operating room
- After 14 tackles, NFL takes notice of Keenan Robinson
- Where are we? The state of the Redskins, Week 8
- Who would Jason Taylor start at QB for the Redskins?
- 5 Redskins vs. Cowboys questions--Who will cover Dez?