Jun 25, 2014, 5:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, June 25, 29 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
—I’m having a hard time figuring out how much the Redskins will pass this year. The Patriots and Saints passed about 40 times per game last year. The Seahawks and Panthers averaged about 30 pass attempts per game. The 7-9 Rams and 4-12 Bucs were in the bottom six in pass attempts while the 4-12 Browns and 4-12 Falcons were in the top three. The point is that there’s more than one way to get it done. I think that their offensive skill players dictate that they pass closer to 40 times per game than 30.
—But it’s also important to remember that Jay Gruden is not a pass-happy play caller. Of the three years he called plays in Cincinnati the Bengals were in the top 10 in the NFL is rushing attempts twice. Last year they had 25 or more rushing attempts in 11 of their 16 games.
—No matter how they do it, however, the Redskins’ offense is going to have to put up a lot of points for the team to stay competitive. The defense should be better but it’s not going to be set up to thrive in a tight, low-scoring game. They will need to put pressure on the other team to throw the ball so their pass rush can get to work. The best way to do that is to, in the words of the fight song, let the points soar. By ground or by air, the Redskins are going to have to get the ball into the end zone with great frequency. Again, there are a lot of ways to get it done but if the Redskins don’t average something near a touchdown per quarter they could be in trouble this season.
—It’s been 178 days since the Redskins played a game; in 74 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 29; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 43; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 81
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' DeAngelo Hall sets target date for return
- Gruden expects 'significant strides' from RG3 in 2015
- Redskins linebackers "gunning" for Brian Orakpo's old spot
- T. Williams, D. Jackson among 4 Skins starters missing at OTAs
- Where do Cousins & McCoy fit on the depth chart? Gruden explains
- Gruden on his and RG3's progress heading into their 2nd year together
- Griffin, Gruden joke about RG3 being a new father
- Need to Know: 5 defensive players with something to prove in OTAs
- Redskins OL Kouandjio on why he left Md. to play at Alabama
- Rookie Arie Kouandjio on returning home to play for the Redskins